FORUMS: list search recent posts

Music Video With Two Film Formats - Digital Camcorder and Digitized Super 8

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lauren German
Music Video With Two Film Formats - Digital Camcorder and Digitized Super 8
on Sep 25, 2011 at 12:09:12 am

The music video I recently posted online is having issues with "hiccups" and "stuttering" during playback. I have my video posted on Vimeo, and each time I watch it there are between 2-4 stutters which all occur in different points of the footage each time.

If it is not simply from my internet connection, I suspect there is an issue with my footage or sequence settings. For this music video, I used two types of footage. Both types had different compressor types, frame sizes, and frame rates.

First type of footage: Digital footage shot on my Canon XH-A1 camcorder set in HD. This footage has the dimensions: Frame size: 1440x1080, 29.97 frames per second, HDV 1080i60, 16-bit integer, pixel aspect HD 1440x1080.

Second type of footage: Super 8 footage shot at 18fps, which was professionally digitized, but not digitized to HD. The original Super 8 footage was given to me as a Timecode 10-bit uncompressed 4:2:2 file Quicktime file. Native Dimensions were: 720x486. I’m not sure what the frames per second are.

I used the video converter Wondershare to convert this Super 8 footage (which was in a Quicktime format) into an H.264 file. When I chose “current frame rate” in Wondershare, it came up at 29.97 fps. But I converted into Final Cut at 23.98 fps, thinking it might look closer to the 18fps it was shot on. The recently converted Super 8 specifications in Final Cut are: Frame Size: 1920x1440, Data rate: 2.0 MB/sec, pixel aspect: square. I converted it into an HD 1920x1440 H.264 file using Wondershare.

I put them all together into a sequence with the sequence settings being: Frame size: 1440x1080, Aspect Ratio: HD (1440x1080) Anamorphic 16:9: Checked, Editing Timebase: 23.98 (Custom 23.976), Quicktime Video Settings: HDV 1080p24.

I exported the project using Quicktime conversion with the settings: Compression type: H.264, data restricted to: 5000 bytes, Frame Reordering: No, Frames rate: Custom (23.976) - Yet "24" is automatically selected as the key frame underneath and I can't change it. Frame size is HD 1280x720 16:9 (because Vimeo's compression settings recommend exporting a 1440x1080 video as a 1280x720). Deinterlacing: No

Audio Settings are: AAC, Data Rate: 320 kps, Sample rate: 44.1 kHz.

I would like to know how to fix my music video so that it plays smoothly and there are no discrepancies between the two types of footage. I also am about to begin another music video similar to this one with both Canon XH-A1 1440x1080 footage and Super 8 in the sequence together the same way so I want to make sure that this video also plays professionally without any stutters. I am wondering the following:

1.) What should be sequence settings in Final Cut Pro be with both Canon XH-A1 and Super 8 footage in the sequence together?

2.) Does the Canon XH-A1 footage need to match the Super 8 footage in frame size, file type and pixel aspect? If so, what should both of the footage specifications be?

3.) When I try to convert my Super 8 footage using Wondershare to 1280x720 and drag it into the Final Cut Pro timeline, it appears as a little box in the viewer, about 50% the size it needs to be. The other Super 8 clips in the timeline that are 1920x1440 appear as the correct size and fill the whole viewer screen, but the 1280x720 Super 8 clips look smaller. Then the native 720x486 size looks really, really small. Why is this, and how can I enlarge my Super 8 images in the sequence so that they are the same size as the rest of my footage?

3.) Is it okay to convert my digitized Super 8 footage using Wondershare, into an H.264 file with the dimensions described above? (Frame size: 1920x1440, Pixel aspect: Square) Should it be something else? 1280x720, 720x480, etc?

4.) Will I have to downgrade my Canon XH-A1 footage into regular SD in order for it to cooperate with my Super 8 footage which was not transferred to HD in the telecine process?

5.) What kind of Quicktime conversion settings should I use to export the file? What should my compression type, frame rate, frame size and pixel aspect be?

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Return to posts index

Lauren German
Re: Music Video With Two Film Formats - Digital Camcorder and Digitized Super 8
on Sep 25, 2011 at 12:38:04 am

Also: The audio is a completely separate track from the video files. For the music video, I used Super 8 clips and digital camcorder clips of live performances and I worked hard to line the lyrics up with the song, but the audio file is taken from their album and is 44.1 kHz.

Return to posts index

Lauren German
Re: Music Video With Two Film Formats - Digital Camcorder and Digitized Super 8
on Sep 26, 2011 at 12:09:05 am

Also, my Canon XH-A1 camcorder footage is supposed to be 23.98 frames per second, but for some reason in this sequence it is coming up as 29.97. I don't know how my frame rate changed but I would really like to get it back to 23.98. My super 8 footage was always at 23.98 I think, because when I ran it through Wondershare again, and said "keep current frame rate" it appeared as 23.98.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]