FORUMS: list search recent posts

From Fcp to Prp and back

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Philipp Hampl
From Fcp to Prp and back
on Sep 24, 2011 at 6:54:21 pm

At least I can say: I gave it a try. But, after really putting Prp 5.5 to a test and likeing it quite a lot, I have to go back to fcp.

Main reason is, that PrP is not for people who have to deliver their stuff to TV-Stadions. And: at least for Macs, it's a resource eating app - I had cuda, and I had 32 GB of RAM in my 8 Kernel x 2,66 GHz macpro. And still there has been lacks in performance that are not tolerable if there is  a customer sitting right next to you. Multicam-monitoring is just a show of pixels.

I gave up on fcp because of fcpx, the Apple politics of not telling their customers where the road leads to and 2 reasons: no external monitoring via Blackmagic (or any other). And no real audio-routing - consumer-stylish export of just stereo-tracks.  And today I had to find out, PrP is limited in this regard, too. To an extreme, that you have to use a workaround that leads straight to final cut pro! Well, if this is the only way, why should I leave fcp at all?

I don't regret my weeks with prp - and sure hope, that adobe really works on this nle. Then, I'm pretty sure, that I will come back. Until then I have to warn other switcher: if you're coming from fcp - you might not want to change to prp, yet. Like Larry Jordan Said: it's not for pros, yet.

Thanks 4 listening.
Philipp

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: From Fcp to Prp and back
on Sep 25, 2011 at 12:23:17 am

Have you read Walter Biscardi's blog? He is changing to PP5.5 and is running a multi room broadcast facility.

Return to posts index

Philipp Hampl
on Sep 25, 2011 at 5:55:46 am

I have - last Time 3 weeks ago, shortly before I decided to switch. He will endoure the same difficulties I had. It's a good nle, but not ready for (at least) me. Maybe on a PC it works better. But: disliking apple for fcpx and the insecurity about what's coming next, doesn't have to lead to buy a PC. At least not yet.

Return to posts index

Jason Lyons
on Sep 26, 2011 at 8:44:40 am

Thanks for sharing your experience with us! Yeah FCP 7 has just enough to keep you coming back... And regarding the future I hope to stay on mac OS but unfortunately I fear the next to go are mac pro towers, iMacs are cool but... I say 6 months.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]