FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can Compressor automatically recover from errors during transcoding?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gareth Randall
Can Compressor automatically recover from errors during transcoding?
on Sep 24, 2011 at 3:29:19 pm

I'm testing distributed processing using Compressor over my company network. In the transcode I've got running right now, 3 of the 4 cores on the services-only Mac have suddenly gone down.

Batch Monitor reports "3x crash HOST [iMac name] service down". I checked Activity Monitor on that machine, and the four instances of Compressor are visible, but three of them are showing 0% CPU load. The segments that were being processed by those cores have gone to "Failed" or "Cancelled", but the segments on the cores that are still live are still transcoding.

Does the fact that Compressor hasn't just cancelled the entire job mean that it can automatically recover from this and reschedule the failed/cancelled segments to working cores as they become available? Or do I have to intervene to make it do this? Or is the whole session a write-off and I just have to start again from the beginning and hope it doesn't happen again?

Return to posts index

John Pale
Re: Can Compressor automatically recover from errors during transcoding?
on Sep 24, 2011 at 4:45:39 pm

I'd pull the plug.

The frames it was processing when the crash occurred are likely corrupt, even if it manages to finish the encode.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]