FORUMS: list search recent posts

Slowing down audio and video to then sync when sped up

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mia Petry
Slowing down audio and video to then sync when sped up
on Sep 24, 2011 at 12:46:41 pm

Ok, so am very new to this, but what I did and trying to figure out is the following:

I slowed down an audio track in FCP by 40% ie to 60% (in the Modify > Change Speed section) then I recorded the video with singing.

Then I brought it all in and sped it up by 40% to 140% and brought in the original audio (which of course is at 100%), BUT it doesn't sync up.

I must be getting conversion rates wrong. Am currently trying to speed it up by 160% as the footage seems too slow for the audio.

If anyone knows the conversion rates let me know. Have a feeling they are 1.25? Cheers!

Many thanks!

Return to posts index

Mia Petry
Re: Slowing down audio and video to then sync when sped up
on Sep 24, 2011 at 10:36:41 pm

SOLVED, but if anyone is interested 165% did indeed work, ie adding the 40 plus a quarter on top did sync up with the original audio.

Return to posts index

Andrew Rendell
on Sep 25, 2011 at 2:44:19 pm

Well, logic would suggest that you'd need to speed up by 166.6666666666666666 (etc) %
so 165% would be close enough (i.e., it would take a while before you'd notice it slipping)

Return to posts index

Mia Petry
on Sep 26, 2011 at 8:35:19 am

Hi Andrew, Cheers for that....so where am I going wrong...ie. what's the calculation?

Return to posts index

Jean-Christophe Boulay
on Sep 26, 2011 at 3:59:05 pm

You start with 100 apples. You take 40% of them away, you have 60 apples. You want 100 apples again. If you add 40%, that's 40% of 60 apples, which is 24 apples. You want 40 apples over your 60 apples, which is 2/3, which is 66.66667%. After you slow down the footage, the reference frame changes with it.

JC Boulay
Technical Director
Audio Z
Montreal, Canada
http://www.audioz.com

Return to posts index

Mia Petry
on Sep 26, 2011 at 5:23:56 pm

Many thanks!

The ten year olds amongst this forum will be grateful that you used apples to explain this :-)

Return to posts index

Jean-Christophe Boulay
on Sep 28, 2011 at 2:15:47 pm

It's how Ms. Diane taught me this and, to this day, I still visualize apples when working with fractions. No nagging intended. OK, maybe just a little. :-)

JC Boulay
Technical Director
Audio Z
Montreal, Canada
http://www.audioz.com

Return to posts index

Mia Petry
on Sep 28, 2011 at 8:32:52 pm

Hehe, well thank you. I appreciate you taking the time to answer no matter how :-)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]