FORUMS: list search recent posts

Setting size limits for Compressor outputs?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Estabrooks
Setting size limits for Compressor outputs?
on Sep 23, 2011 at 10:43:34 pm

Hi all,
I have a Compressor question that I haven't really been able to find an answer to. In this instance, I have just completed an 11-minute short film that was shot in 1080p-24p. Exported from Final Cut directly, it's roughly 11GB (as would be expected). Now, I want to put it on a DVD but with the best quality possible.

Of course, I tried using the "DVD - 90 Minute Best Quality" setting which outputs a pretty decent quality but the file is less than 1GB. My question is this...is it possible to give Compressor a size limit (say, 4.7GB for a DVD) and have it output the BEST quality for that size, given the length of your film? Basically, I'm trying to fill up that entire DVD as much as possible so that I can get the best quality for my 10-minute short.

Is this an option? Or will I just have to do trial and error with the bit rates of MPEG2? Or am I looking at this the totally wrong way? Thanks!

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
Re: Setting size limits for Compressor outputs?
on Sep 23, 2011 at 11:27:20 pm

You are looking at it the wrong way. SD DVD's do not work this way. The maximum data rate you want for your 11 minute film is 7.0.

That will give you the best quality possible. No, if's and's or but's.

If you had a Blu-Ray burner, you can use a higher bit rate and achieve better quality and keep the movie in HD.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]