FORUMS: list search recent posts

Offline edit with h.264 - workflow question

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kate Perkins
Offline edit with h.264 - workflow question
on Sep 23, 2011 at 7:35:55 pm

Hello all,

I have a question about offline editing. I've got some footage from a 7D that I need to incorporate into my edit. I'm getting the "invalid directory structure" error using log and transfer, so I decided to transcode the footage using mpeg streamclip instead. However, I'm concerned about the fact that both of these options are lossy (h.264 > prores > output.) I'd like to know how to re-incorporate the original h.264 footage once I have a finished edit, with the assumption that this will avoid data loss. Can anyone point me to a good workflow for this process?

I've never offlined before because by the time I started doing this, hard drive space was cheaper than the time it took to transcode everything. Thank you all for your help.

-Kate

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
Re: Offline edit with h.264 - workflow question
on Sep 23, 2011 at 8:03:00 pm

There's no better way to preserve footage quality. The ProRes transfer is visually lossless, so I'd not be concerned.

There are different flavors of ProRes though, and the higher data rate versions (HQ for example) may look better than the others if there is a lot of movement in the footage.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

Current DVD:
http://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX - Cinema Displays I have a 22" that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]