FORUMS: list search recent posts

Anyone have any experience with this software?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Noam Osband
Anyone have any experience with this software?
on Sep 23, 2011 at 3:25:19 am

https://s29039.gridserver.com/IntelligentAssistanceStore/prEdit

i'm thinking of getting this bit of software. If it works as good as it promises, it seems like a good deal. That said, I'm skeptical of the accuracy of transcription programs, particularly for American English speakers with thick accents.

Anyone care to give their opinion on it?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Anyone have any experience with this software?
on Sep 23, 2011 at 4:52:01 am

This does not TRANSCRIBE the footage for you. It enables you to take ALREADY TRANSCRIBED footage and assemble it into a "first cut."

"Starting with transcript-enable media files, prEdit allows you to:
very quickly subclip the best from the Transcript;
easily enter log notes, with tools like autocomplete;
filter your subclips to find common themes using the transcript text or any logging field;
quickly build and refine stories that can be previewed right inside prEdit;
send the story to Final Cut Pro or Premiere Pro CS5 as a cut sequence ready for further editing."

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Byrd Mcdonald
Re: Anyone have any experience with this software?
on Dec 31, 2011 at 7:03:52 pm

I've been using PRedit for about a year, and it's had an amazing impact on my work and my business.

An important point to make -- this software does save time, but that is not where it's greatest strength lies. The magic, if you are cutting content that is dense or you have multiple takes of an answer to an interview question , is that you not only are thinking about story and content in a organizational way (does this TELL a story, am I laying this out in the best order). It's the ability to organize your cut WHILE listening to the interview sections that is truly extraordinary, removing the disappointing moments we've all had with paper cuts where just because someone says the right words doesn't mean they are delivering the soundbite well.

For me, in a world where I'm tracking so much content, it somehow removes the stress of remembering exactly what someone says, putting that memory aspect of editing squarely on the shoulders of the software, so I can sit back a little an "audition" the sound bites, build the story and TAKE IN what it all will sound like in a way that is so freeing for me creatively.

Additionally, it's an amazing thing (added a few revs ago) to get a "snapshot" of how long your paper cut will actually be when cut.

I frequently don't use picture when using this tool, as I am cutting stuff constantly, both to hand off to other editors, as well as shows that I finish. I frequently only link to audio files. I use 3Play Media to create JSON files, skipping the elaborate CS4/5 workflow. I create audio-only cuts, then export them to FCP with an excel doc exported as well. From there, it's super easy to re-build the edit. I do find that the "conform" feature, which rebuilds your timeline in Final Cut Pro, is frequently inaccurate, missing in and out points by seconds. But that's easy to fix, and that's the finessing work you need to be doing in an editing app anyway.

I've been able to cut really elegant and concise stories using this app that, yes, I could have done before, but it's more creative and intuitive, and nothing has made editing more fun for me in 2011 than PRedit. I:'m frankly surprised that there still doesn't seem to be as much buzz for this app as there should be. I can see how people who are cutting montage would find it strange and unnecessary. But for the story tellers among us who use real people to tell our stories, it's a godsend. Please NLE designers, look at this app and use aspects of it in future revs of your software - it would be great to get this ability under the roof of the NLE itself. I haven't used Avid's tool, but I've been told it's no as powerful as PREDIT.

Byrd McDonald

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]