FORUMS: list search recent posts

Just bought a G-Raid external hard drive and want to move my programs onto it: good idea, or dumb?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brandon Hall
Just bought a G-Raid external hard drive and want to move my programs onto it: good idea, or dumb?
on Sep 23, 2011 at 12:46:14 am

I have a 4tb G-Raid and want to move My FCS programs (final cut pro 7/ soundtrack pro/ compressor / motion) and my plug in applications (twixtor / magic bullet suite / red giant effects) onto my external hard drive for the purposes of freeing up space on my desktop and having access to them If I choose to work on a project away from home.

Can this be done, while still having all the applications still being linked to FCP7? Is it as easy as copying the programs to the ex. hard drive and then trashing the desktop versions?

If not is there a work around?

Thanks for the help.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Just bought a G-Raid external hard drive and want to move my programs onto it: good idea, or dumb?
on Sep 23, 2011 at 2:36:44 am

Program files and plugins need to be on the system drive and media on your GTech.

If your system drive is getting too crowded, you could replace the system drive with a bigger drive and clone your existing system drive to the bigger drive.

To make a portable set up you need an external boot drive with OS & software installed.

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
Re: Just bought a G-Raid external hard drive and want to move my programs onto it: good idea, or dumb?
on Sep 23, 2011 at 3:39:27 am

Use your G-RAID as a scratch disc.

Get a Bare 1-2 TB hard drive (Hitachi/Seagate/Western Digital) Use an external enclosure such as the NewerTech Voyager (http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/NewerTech/Voyager/Hard_Drive_Dock).

Clone that drive and use that drive to move from system to system.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Daniel Sametz
on Sep 23, 2011 at 3:57:51 am

I think you can put parts of the suite on another disk but not the entire program. Maybe you can put the audio tracks of soundtrack in the g-raid.
Check it out.

Return to posts index

Richard Clark
on Sep 28, 2011 at 1:43:35 am

Simply program your G-raid as the capture drive, make sure you don't change the name of the drive once you have captured material :) back up the media, aka copy it to another drive as a safety back up. Good luck and enjoy the process, editing is fun. Don't do any work on settings while you are hungry, angry, lonely or tired :) HALT!

Richard Clark's kiwicafe.com
Film | Photography | Writing
http://www.kiwicafe.com
+64 27 291 5494
Aotearoa New Zealand

Return to posts index

Brandon Hall
on Sep 23, 2011 at 4:05:38 am

Thanks for the tips. This is helpful. I am an extreme novice to the particulars of editing and system setup so this is all a big help

Return to posts index

Thomas Morter-Laing
on Sep 23, 2011 at 8:17:07 am

To elaborate on what I think Daniel Sametz is saying above- in Library, Application Support, Final Cut Studio are the library and media files for Motion and Soundtrack Pro (assuming you installed all of it)- they take up like 30GB or something. You can move those onto a drive and tell Motion and Sountrack Pro to 'find' the media you have moved.

Just be careful you dont move EVERYTHING in that folder- sorry I cant remember what you can move etc- Google will be your friend here :D (Try a search like 'move motion library onto external drive' or something).

:D
Tom Morter-Laing
Freelance Editor,
Certified Apple Product Proffessional, 2010
http://www.depictproductions.co.uk

Sony Z5, with Rode NTG2.
iMac 27" intel i7 2.93GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI HD5750 [1GB GDDR5], 2TB Int. SATA with 2TB External HDD; (FW800), with Elgato Turbo H264HD.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]