FORUMS: list search recent posts

Issue with FX Factory's Pan and Zoom Generator UPDATED AND RESOLVED

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeremy Brunson
Issue with FX Factory's Pan and Zoom Generator UPDATED AND RESOLVED
on Sep 22, 2011 at 8:24:06 pm

This goes out to anyone working with FX Factory's Pan and Zoom plugin. It does a great job but I've recently run into two issue. One recent and the other something I've just avoided.

The most recent one is when I choose my image through the image path dialog. It's not remembered. It will be remembered if I keep FCP open. However if I save, reopen FCP, and take a look at the movement. It's reverted to the default (in this instance the Clown Fish desktop wallpaper). It's driving me mad. It seems to be doing it on too different systems. I've also noticed their text plugin, manifesto, doing the same thing (not saving the text you entered).

The second issue is something that never seemed to work. If, in the pan and zoom generator, I decide to change the source to Project Media, drop my image into the well, create a second instance of the Pan and Zoom generator and drop a second picture in the well, it replaces the image in the first instance of the plugin. This is something that never worked over the history of the project.

I'm running a Macbook Pro 2.4 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo running 10.7.1 with 6 GB of ram. I also have been using the project on a iMac i3 with 4 GB of Ram on SL. I'm not right in front of it so I can't remember the Ghz or what version of SL. Both are running FCP 7 and the latest version of FX Factory.

I'm also going to submit this directly to FX Factory. If they respond, I'll report back. If anyone is experiencing similar problems and have found a workaround, please let me know. The only thing I can think of right now is to export out movies of the moves.

Got a response from Noise Industries really quickly. Seems like I'll be doing the rest on SL and the other problem is a FCP bug. Here's some workarounds if anyone is experiencing the same issue:

About the fact that the plug-in "forgets" the image you last selected, it is a known issue that appeared with OS X Lion. When Final Cut Pro 6 or 7 are running on Lion, they fail to save certain parameter configurations. We've notified Apple of this problem, and we expect they will fix the issue in OS X Lion 10.7.2. In the meantime, you have two possible workarounds:
- Use Motion instead. Motion supports the same effects as Final Cut Pro, and it is immune from the issue.
- Switch to a system that is still running Mac OS X 10.6.8.

About the fact that changes to one generator apply to a different one, it is known issue in Final Cut Pro 6 and 7. The solution is to *never* duplicate a generator track. Instead, create a brand new Pan & Zoom track. Doing so ensures that no data "ghosting" happens.
If you want to avoid the need to recreate a certain parameter setup, save a preset with the first instance of Pan & Zoom, and load the preset from the second instance. This preset "trick" is very useful in duplicating parameter configurations across multiple clips.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved