FORUMS: list search recent posts

Import/export/render settings from 60D footage issues/advice needed

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Arthur Marchyshyn
Import/export/render settings from 60D footage issues/advice needed
on Sep 21, 2011 at 10:26:04 pm

Hiya,

So, about 6 or 7 month back I was editing a piece for my Media course in the UK in my College. In that one year course we had 2 assignments for the whole year, 1 first half the year 2nd the other. The first was a Music Video, I was Directing/Editing and we used all stock College equipment which quite frankly is out of date and produces terrible quality. It was using old cassettes too and had to capture the footage. Anyway to spare the long story I bought a 60D half way through that course because I got very interested in Photography and Film Making. The 2nd assignment we were set was to make a short Documentary. One of the primal reasons I purchased the 60D was for its video capabilities, but when it came to editing I ran into a lot of problems.

Now I might be forgetting some things, BUT I had a ton of problems rendering and exporting the footage. Even though the editing suite was full of iMacs that seemed capable enough it would still take 4-5 hours to render 5 minutes of footage. The end result was, quite frankly awful in quality terms. It was not the 1080p HD footage I hoped for. I did several different exports to try and figure out which one works best but they all seemed terrible, I just picked the one that looked best to the eye and went with it because I simply didn't have the time any longer (was taking days/hours exporting ect).

Now I made it onto the higher level of that course which last 2 years and we are coming to the stage of Pre-Production for a 30-40 second advert; I am Directing/Editing again I would be very grateful if someone could give a few tips or maybe post the correct steps I should take while importing from my 60D into FCP, rendering it and then exporting, as in what the correct procedure would be to achieve the best quality.

Info:
Canon 60D - 18-135mm IS Lens
Final Cut Pro 7 (AFAIK)
My Documentary with failed quality:

I remember I tried exporting as H.264 but the quality was still bad. Also when I colour corrected that took a LOT of rendering time.

My point is, I'm trying to achieve a somewhat good looking video like this:

Just a random video but I'm pretty sure they use DSLR's to record, yes a 7D probably but point is the quality of my Documentary should not have been that bad.

I really hope someone can help me out.

Thanks for reading and I hope someone can help me out,
Arthur

P.S. I have been considering using Vegas Pro 10 since I have it at home and can't take the iMacs out of the suite but might not be allowed due to the fact I need to learn FCP even more.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Import/export/render settings from 60D footage issues/advice needed
on Sep 21, 2011 at 11:54:54 pm

When you worked with this footage from your Canon DSLR...did you convert the footage to PRORES before editing? Sounds like you didn't. THat is the crucial step, because FCP does not edit H.264 that the camera shoots natively. Not without a lot of headache.

Here is the tapeless workflow for FCP - Tapeless Workflow for FCP 7 Tutorial

NOTE...you will have to hack the Canon Log and Transfer plugin to get it to see your camera. OR, you can transcode with MPEG STREAMCLIP, or 5DtoRGB, or Compressor...

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Arthur Marchyshyn
Re: Import/export/render settings from 60D footage issues/advice needed
on Sep 22, 2011 at 7:35:47 am

Hi Shane,

Thanks for the quick respose.

I am pretty sure I did not convert the video. I'll take a look when I get home today. Thanks for the help.

Arthur.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]