FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audio Phase meter?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Cohen
Audio Phase meter?
on Sep 21, 2011 at 2:57:05 pm

Is there anything in FCP 6.0.6 or Soundtrack Pro 2.0.2 that will show if the audio is stereo or mono. Something like the vector scopes that have the audio phase meters in them.

I'm having an issue where my network is saying we are delivering shows in Mono. Even the music that is direct from the Digital Juice DVD's they are saying it is mono.

They are seeing this on their scopes. Unfortunately we do not have this type of scope here, we have basic Vector scopes and waveform monitors.

I know you first thought is something is set wrong on the time line or on out output, but that does not seem to be the case.

We deliver 2 different 1/2hr shows to them on a weekly basis and they are only having problems with 1 of the 2 shows.

Last week I sent them an hour long show that consisted of the show have not had a problem with followed by the show that they have been having problems with. This was editing in the same timeline and laid to tape all at once.

They informed me that the 1st 30 min of the tape is fine, but the 2nd 30 min is mono.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Steve Cohen

Return to posts index

Andrew Rendell
Re: Audio Phase meter?
on Sep 21, 2011 at 4:51:09 pm

I use PPMulator (via Audio Hijack Pro) for checking sound levels in FCP and that has a M/S mode (the S not moving at all = your output is mono, S higher than M = you've got a phase problem somewhere. I find that's usually enough to get me by and it's a lot cheaper than a full outboard phase meter).

I'm slightly mystified over the sensors on the sides of your head not letting you know which is stereo and which is mono.

The first thing I'd check with respect to the timeline is whether you've got the music clips inadvertently set to pan = 0.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Audio Phase meter?
on Sep 21, 2011 at 10:11:25 pm

Headphones. Every editor should own a decent pair. Cheapest way to hear all sorts of sound issues before audio post and delivery to broadcasters.

Audio phase meters can also give false impressions. I had a young tech ring me an say that a TVC for I had mixed Opera Australia was out of phase. I asked him to sum to mono and see if the narrator disappeared. No he didn't. Aha I said, now you know what surround sound looks like on a phase meter.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]