FORUMS: list search recent posts

Self-Contained Export Files One-Tenth The Size at Random

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Dalrymple
Self-Contained Export Files One-Tenth The Size at Random
on Sep 20, 2011 at 9:11:17 pm

Has anyone ever experienced an iMac workstation randomly producing self-contained export files one-tenth the size of the original? This while adjacent work-stations have no problem exporting same-size sequences with the same material-720x480/29.97 NTSC. The problem began this weekend at my employer.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Self-Contained Export Files One-Tenth The Size at Random
on Sep 20, 2011 at 10:36:38 pm

It sounds like someone is using a different codec by using a different kind of export. You can make a self-contained quicktime in any available codec if you export using Quicktime Conversion.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Chris Dalrymple
on Sep 20, 2011 at 11:28:12 pm

No, actually it happens to the same person sitting at the same station over a period of eight hours using the Current Settings position on the Quicktime option at the top of the Export drop-down menu. One file might end up exported as 400MB and the next will be 40MB. And they're the same length and from the same source file.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Sep 21, 2011 at 12:20:43 am

[Chris Dalrymple] "using the Current Settings position on the Quicktime option at the top of the Export drop-down menu. One file might end up exported as 400MB and the next will be 40MB. And they're the same length and from the same source file."

Never heard that one before Chris, and believe me, I've heard and fielded just about every FCP issue under the sun. You might consider trashing preferences and fixing permissions on that machine.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

Don't miss my new Creative Cow Podcast: Producing Episodic TV with "24" Producer Michael Klick:
http://library.creativecow.net/weiss_roth_david/Podcast-Series-1_Michael-Kl...

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Sep 21, 2011 at 12:45:43 am

I'm going to take a wild guess and say the self-contained was unchecked. Otherwise I will agree with David.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Chris Dalrymple
on Sep 21, 2011 at 12:54:31 am

You know, the very self-same thought had occurred to me as I left work today. I will check tomorrow. It seems so far-fetched. However, as a fictional detective once said, “Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.”

Return to posts index

Jean-Christophe Boulay
on Sep 21, 2011 at 2:06:13 pm

I haven't seen this particular issue with FCP exports, but I have seen Mac OS report completely bogus file sizes before. In most cases I remember, it was after a QT export out of QT itself. The Finder will report the file as being an impossibly-small size, but when you go get the file through the network or even move the file to another folder in the Finder, the file size updates to the correct value. Sounds a bit like what you're seeing. A little DiskWarrior and permissions routine usually fixes this, as far as I can tell.

IHTH,

JC Boulay
Technical Director
Audio Z
Montreal, Canada
http://www.audioz.com

Return to posts index

Chris Dalrymple
on Sep 21, 2011 at 3:38:46 pm

Thanks. As was suspected,Self-Contained had been un-checked. Go figure. But I will try your suggestions if things go south again.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]