FORUMS: list search recent posts

shot footage/used footage ratio - how do I work that out?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marc de Montbron
shot footage/used footage ratio - how do I work that out?
on Sep 20, 2011 at 4:06:16 pm

Hi

I am finishing off a film edit and I would like to know what the final shot footage:used footage ratio is.

Is there an easy way to do this?

The film uses footage from a total of 4 different camera's and everything was trans-coded to ProRes (HQ).

I've been editing on FCP.

ThankS!

Return to posts index

Andrew Rendell
Re: shot footage/used footage ratio - how do I work that out?
on Sep 20, 2011 at 8:07:38 pm

Well, used footage is your cut's running time, shot footage is the duration of all your rushes, so you could just loop them all and drop them onto a new timeline and read the duration (actually it's probably better to loop groups of rushes and drop them onto a new timeline, then when you get to a couple of hours, start another new timeline... then add up the lengths of the timelines).

In theory you could probably work it out by doing an export in current settings and comparing the size of that with the amount of storage used for the source media, but I think that in practice it would be too fiddly to work out the actual size of just the source material without getting other stuff included and messing up your calculation.

TBH your used footage could be longer than the running time if you've got lots of layered effects, but most of the time it wouldn't be enough to make much difference to the shooting ratio.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]