FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP to DVD with HDV footage and making the QT movie smaller

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michelle Orpe
FCP to DVD with HDV footage and making the QT movie smaller
on Sep 19, 2011 at 3:37:08 pm

Hi Guys

I have a project I made in FCP, it is HDV 1440x1080 and it is one hour long. I have exported it as a 'make movie self contained' quicktime movie and the end result is 12gb and it says the dimensions are 1920x1080

I have dropped it into compressor and submitted it to make a 90 minute DVD, it's doing it's think now but will take about 2-3 hours it seems, is this right or is there a quicker way?

Also I dropped the movie onto an external HD and copied it over to my laptop but when I try to play it it says it is unable to play because it doesn't recognise it. Now it is a quicktime movie I converted from FCP and I have quicktime 7 on my laptop so why will it not recognise it?

I have dropped the self contained movie into Mpeg Streamclip as I want to make it smaller and into something that I can put on my HD and then play on my laptop, what should I convert it to? or is there another way I can export the project out of FCP that will make it a smaller file and one I can put on my Harddrive to then play on my laptop?

Thanks for any responses

Mich

Michelle Orpe
http://www.michelleorpe.com

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: FCP to DVD with HDV footage and making the QT movie smaller
on Sep 19, 2011 at 3:58:50 pm

Sounds like you edited in ProRes at 1920x1080. Good. But your laptop won't have the proves codec unless you've installed FCP on it.

Perhaps you worked in XDCam at 1080x1920. I'm not sure that codec would be on your laptop either, but it may be downloadable. Not sure.

Return to posts index

Michelle Orpe
on Sep 19, 2011 at 4:15:14 pm

The sequence settings are just matched to the clip so the settings are:
1440x1080 - HD (1440x1080) (16:9)
Compressor - HDV 1080i50

I exported the project as a quicktime movie set to current settings

Once the movie had exported to my desktop it is a 'Quicktime Movie' and the dimensions are 1920x1080 and the size is 12gb

The movie won't play on my laptop?

Michelle Orpe
http://www.michelleorpe.com

Return to posts index

Pradip Patil
on Sep 19, 2011 at 4:37:16 pm

[Michelle Orpe] "The movie won't play on my laptop?"

When you say laptop you mean a laptop with Windows operating system installed on it, right?
You should try playing the file using VLC Player.
Here is another way.
If you just need the files for reference purpose then you can export it to some other foramt like H.264 (mp4) for watching it on your laptop.
Use MPEGStreamclip for exporitng mp4 file.

Pradip Patil
Mumbai,India

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Sep 19, 2011 at 10:15:58 pm

And I think it's just showing the video at 1920x1080 because that is the size of 1080 HD video. 1440x1080 is an anamorphic version used by the codec to squash horizontal data. If you displayed it as 1440x1080 it would look skinny.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]