FORUMS: list search recent posts

Faster exports for online review

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dennis Dean
Faster exports for online review
on Sep 19, 2011 at 1:58:01 pm

I'm wondering if there is a faster way for me to export a video for interim review online? I'm currently using FCP 6.06 G5 Dual with 4 gigs of RAM and a two-drive external RAID ARAY connected via FW800.

My usual process is to first export a reference copy (same settings as sequence - usually Pro Res 422 or XD Cam both 1080i), then compress it for online use. The problem is exporting from Final Cut (not compressing for online use.)

Sometimes FCP exports a true reference copy, quickly, and sometimes FCP decides to export a self-contained version and take a lot of time, regardless of whether I've checked "self contained" or not. This is not much of a problem with most videos in the 2-4 minute ranges; my usual product.

Recently two 25-minute videos have been problematic. This morning I went to export a reference copy and was informed it was an 11 hour process. I removed empty tracks and decided to export via Quick Time Conversion - outputting a half-size h.264 version. The dialogue box at first said 7 minutes, but at 7 percent completed decided 3 hours was more likely... and seems to be holding there. Far better than 7 percent.

Any thoughts as to how to speed things up will be appreciated. I've been considering a new desktop because I need one for many reasons - but are there other formats or processes I should be looking at for this particular issue? I just want a faster way to spit out a version for the client to eye-ball in review.

Thanks!

Dennis Dean
The Dean Group
-It's about results-
http://www.deangroup.com

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Faster exports for online review
on Sep 19, 2011 at 2:05:08 pm

Everything fully rendered before you export? If not, FCP renders as it exports. And that takes time

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Dennis Dean
on Sep 19, 2011 at 2:38:46 pm

Hi Shane - as far as I know. I hit Sequence>Render All and lots of checked things show up - then it renders for awhile, then it's done and plays back. ... Hmmm.

Just noticed "Full" was not checked - so I checked it and hit Render All again - it now says it's "Conforming MPEG-2 Video..." and that the estimated time is 5 hours.

I've never checked "Full" before... should I be doing this?

Back to my original problem - at present just looking for a quicker method to export intermediate review copies.

BTW - I hit "unsubscribe" by mistake - can you re-subscribe me or is that something I can do?

thanks-Dennis (dennis@deangroup.com)

Dennis Dean
The Dean Group
-It's about results-

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 19, 2011 at 3:16:27 pm

Try to avoid using an XDCAM sequence setting...that's where the CONFORMING part comes into action. Use a ProRes sequence, and render. Then export. NO conforming then. That's the big problem, GOP timeline.

Shane

Return to posts index

Dennis Dean
on Sep 19, 2011 at 3:32:32 pm

Aha! Thank you - And - anything faster than a straight export from FCP in the Pro Res sequence? (Such as via QT Conversion)

And in my next system - would any kind of hardware help?

DD

Dennis Dean
The Dean Group
-It's about results-

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 19, 2011 at 3:35:45 pm

[Dennis Dean] "nything faster than a straight export from FCP in the Pro Res sequence? (Such as via QT Conversion) "

Nope. Fastest way is to fully render, export a ref QT, and take that into Compressor.

[Dennis Dean] "And in my next system - would any kind of hardware help? "

To render to H.264? Yes. Matrox Compress HD card (PCIe only), Matrox MXO2 Mini with MAX (any Matrox MXO2 product with MAX), Elgato Turbo.264 USB device...

Shane

Return to posts index

Dennis Dean
on Sep 19, 2011 at 3:42:55 pm

Thanks very much. As always, invaluable advice - ! Saving your advice and my sheckels for the next system.

DD

Dennis Dean
The Dean Group
-It's about results-

Return to posts index

Jeremy Doyle
on Sep 19, 2011 at 4:34:46 pm

I have a 6 year old dual 2.3 G5 that I use at home and all I can say it that Elgato Turbo.264 USB device that I paid $75 bucks for has been done wonders for making on-line approvals and quick h.264 compressions that I have needed. Almost real-time conversations, which is amazing on a G5.

The trick is finding an older model Elgato that will work with a G5. And the G5 version only creates SD frame sizes so if you need HD web files, your best bet is a new computer.

Return to posts index

Dennis Dean
on Sep 19, 2011 at 6:49:34 pm

Thanks, Jeremy - no, I do need HD sizes.

Dennis Dean
The Dean Group
-It's about results-

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Sep 20, 2011 at 4:24:09 am

Use the Turbo.264HD (HD version). $99

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Jeremy Doyle
on Sep 20, 2011 at 3:12:44 pm

[Steve Eisen] "Use the Turbo.264HD (HD version). $99"

That version is intel mac only and will not work with a G5.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]