FORUMS: list search recent posts

Export/ compression issues, possibly due to use of still images?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Avila
Export/ compression issues, possibly due to use of still images?
on Sep 19, 2011 at 8:51:28 am

Hello all! I've frequented this forum for years, yet this is the first time I've had an issue specific-enough that I couldn't find an answer through search... I'm in urgent need of help, so any assistance is GREATLY AND SINCERELY APPRECIATED!

I'm in a rush to export videos of seminar presentations with the powerpoint/pdf slides edited into the video.

The footage was shot in H264, 1920x1080, 29.97 fps. Normally, I convert all the raw footage into ProRes first, and then edit using the ProRes footage in a ProRes sequence. Since I'm really in a hurry with this particular project, I decided not to convert to ProRes thinking that it would save me time, but so far this has taken longer than anything I've ever done.

To minimize render/export time, I have matched my sequence settings exactly to those of my raw footage. And to expedite the export process, I have been sending the sequences directly to Compressor without first exporting to QT, and sometimes without fully rendering. I read somewhere that this is the fastest way to export.

But 20 minute videos are taking 20+ hours to Compress, which is extremely unusual. I know that I don't have the fastest computer out there (MAcbookPro DuoCore), but these compression times still seem unusually long to me. I normally exclusively edit 5-10 minute interviews, this is the first time I've worked with videos this long, so I have never experienced these problems before. 10 minute videos normally take me 2 hours to compress, 3 hours MAX. So I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong with this particular project.

Plus, I'm compressing to Youtube Sharing, which is H.264, same as my original footage... I can't understand why it is taking so long to compress.

I have even removed nearly ALL of our watermarks and lower-third graphics, which were either PSD or Motion files, in an attempt to speed things up, but I'm still getting crazy export times.

Can someone please give me any recommendations? Given my sequence size, settings and codec, what file format should I use for the presentation slides, which are still images? I'm looking for decent quality but more importantly small file size/ quickest rendering.

And regarding my export process of sending the sequences directly to Compressor, is this what I should be doing? Or in this particular case would it be faster to export to .mov first and then send to Compressor? I'm at a loss here and really can't figure out what to do.

Here are all of my specs, your help is truly appreciated!

Final Cut Pro 7.0.3
MacbookPro - Mac OSX 10.6.8
2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

RAW FOOTAGE:
H.264
1920x1080
29.97 fps

DESIRED COMPRESSION SETTING: Youtube Sharing (H.264 1280x720)

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
Re: Export/ compression issues, possibly due to use of still images?
on Sep 19, 2011 at 12:05:30 pm

There is no easy fix for this... you need to transcode that h.264 footage to ProRes before you edit... so my suggestion is to reconform your sequence to proves versions of the clips... (you'll need to make them first of course) then replace the h.264 files with the ProRes files in a sequence set to be ProRes.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

Current DVD:
http://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX - Cinema Displays I have a 22" that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]