FORUMS: list search recent posts

Final Cut to MPEG-2 issues on ONE shot only

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sean Kirchman
Final Cut to MPEG-2 issues on ONE shot only
on Sep 18, 2011 at 6:25:21 am

Hi everyone,

I've been at this problem for over 3 weeks, and with a deadline coming up, I'm completely out of ideas. I have one shot (out of a 35 minute piece) that looks like it has many compression issues when put into mpeg 2. It mainly shows up as very bad color shifting on a long dolly shot, that continues throughout the whole thing. Some pixelation as well. I'll try to include as many details as I can think of.

I'm in FC6.0.6, Studio 2. I have a movie that I shot super 16, converted to DVCpro50, edited as such. Movie is done, and rendered in uncompressed 10 bit, and exported. In compressor, ANY sort of MPEG-2 setting will set this particular shot off. Fine in Final Cut, fine in the quicktime. I've tried every MPEG-2 setting, still happens. All effects were taken off as a test, and it still happens. Sent the sequence right from Final Cut to compressor, same thing. What makes it odder (and threw my troubleshooting completely out of whack) was that cuts from over a year ago that never had these issues before are now displaying it. What in the world is going on here?

I've tried bitvice as well, and while I didn't get as good of a result in other areas of the piece (which is why I'm back to the issue at compressor), the issue on the shot did NOT show up. Which leads me to believe its a compressor/mpeg-2 specific problem. Any ideas would be INCREDIBLY appreciated, as I am out of troubleshooting ideas.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
Re: Final Cut to MPEG-2 issues on ONE shot only
on Sep 18, 2011 at 1:05:33 pm

What are your sequence settings? They should be DVCPRO50.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

Current DVD:
http://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX - Cinema Displays I have a 22" that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.

Return to posts index

Sean Kirchman
on Sep 18, 2011 at 4:35:38 pm

Hi Jerry,

Original cut was in a DV50 sequence, final export as uncompressed 10-bit because it makes my text look better. Both exhibit the same issues, however. This literally crops up ONLY when going to mpeg-2. I've actually tried a few exports to h264 in compressor just to test, and the shot looks fine.

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
on Sep 18, 2011 at 5:13:28 pm

Have you tried reimporting/capturing the errant shot?

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

Current DVD:
http://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX - Cinema Displays I have a 22" that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.

Return to posts index

Sean Kirchman
on Sep 18, 2011 at 5:52:07 pm

Unfortunately, I don't have a DVCpro50 deck, so recapturing is out. I did try to export the shot, reimport it to the timeline and have it live as a single shot (instead of effects, moving parts, etc.), and it still showed up.

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
on Sep 18, 2011 at 7:48:44 pm

Here's a shot in the dark:

Try exporting a self contained QT movie of it this shot from the master clip, (mark in to out) and use "Current settings".

Then tell it to "recompress all frames". Try that media file instead.

Nother thought do look at this shot's properties by typing cmd+9 and post them here.

Jerry

Return to posts index

Sean Kirchman
on Sep 18, 2011 at 8:11:41 pm

I appreciate any and all shots in the dark!

Just tried the recompress all frames tick. No luck. It honestly looks like the fields are shifting and resetting in one second increments, until the end of the dolly shot and everything settles down.

Since it only happens when it touches compressor, I'm starting to (reluctantly) consider a re-install.

Here's the shot properties:

Return to posts index

Sean Kirchman
on Sep 18, 2011 at 8:38:11 pm

Interesting update!

I've gotten the problem to alleviate, only using 90min fastest encode preset, one that I usually stay away from for obvious reasons. Nuts, because that means that the "motion estimation" command is actually downgraded from best to good. Now if i can translate these findings into a better compression technique. Any thoughts?

My edit rig:

Mac Pro (2007 version)
Leopard 10.5.8
Quad Core Intel Xeon, 10GB ram
ATI Radeon X1900 Graphics Card

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]