FORUMS: list search recent posts

Moving Split Screen to Show Before and After

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Crow
Moving Split Screen to Show Before and After
on Sep 17, 2011 at 10:41:19 pm

I have watched several videos made by filter and effects companies where they demonstrate the impact their software has on a video clip by having a line move from screen left to screen right - as this line moves - the version of the clip with the effect applied is revealed. In other words, everything to the left of the line shows the clip with the filtered applied and everything to the right of the line is the original, unaltered clip. As the line moves then more and more of the clip has the filtered applied to it.

Simply put, how do they pull off this effect?

I can see that part of the answer is to stack the two versions of the clip (with and without filters applied) on the timeline but what happens after that? Is it some kind of mask or matte that is moving or changing?

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
Re: Moving Split Screen to Show Before and After
on Sep 18, 2011 at 3:56:55 am

A simple wipe does the trick.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
on Sep 18, 2011 at 4:17:29 am

Steve, it seems like a wipe transition would not show the entire clip being adjusted - just during the period of the transition (the end of one clip and the start of the second clip) so I don't think that's it.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Sep 18, 2011 at 3:57:33 am

Animate the crop attribute of the top layer with Keyframes.

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
on Sep 18, 2011 at 4:20:00 am

Yeah Bret I see what you are thinking...still I have in mind a pretty strong impression of a moving "line" - maybe it's some kind of border effect applied to one of the clips along with the crop adjustment....hmmm

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Sep 18, 2011 at 3:29:49 pm

Create a line. Use a solid cropped to look like a line, whatever works. Then put it on 3rd layer and animate position attributes.

Now if all you need is a transition, the wipe effect has a built in border. But it sounded like you needed something that went halfway and stopped.

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
on Sep 18, 2011 at 3:52:54 pm

Actually going all the way so at the end the full clip with the effect is shown would be ideal. Thats why i thought a transition effect wouldnt be the way to go but i will try your suggestion out

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]