FORUMS: list search recent posts

I am dragging a marker to a bin and the name changes to the title of the clip where it came from. Why is it doing that?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Noam Osband
I am dragging a marker to a bin and the name changes to the title of the clip where it came from. Why is it doing that?
on Sep 17, 2011 at 5:45:01 pm

I have an interview that I marked up with markers. I then dragged them to a bin to create subclips, but most of the clips have lost the names they should have - the name of the marker - and instead have taken the name of the larger clip that they come from. This is not true of every marker. anyone know why this is happening?

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: I am dragging a marker to a bin and the name changes to the title of the clip where it came from. Why is it doing that?
on Sep 17, 2011 at 6:48:07 pm

There's no need to do that Noam. Every time you place a marker on a clip it automatically creates a twirl-down arrow under the clip in the browser and puts a log item marker there for each one you create. And, you can annotate those marker log items in the browser as you wish.

The question is, did you place the marker on the timeline or on the clip itself? They work very differently.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

Don't miss my new Creative Cow Podcast: Producing Episodic TV with "24" Producer Michael Klick:
http://library.creativecow.net/weiss_roth_david/Podcast-Series-1_Michael-Kl...

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Noam Osband
Re: I am dragging a marker to a bin and the name changes to the title of the clip where it came from. Why is it doing that?
on Sep 18, 2011 at 11:26:24 pm

I did it on the clip itself in the viewer. This was working perfectly fine a month ago. I feel like I must have changed some preference.

Again, the problem is that now, when I'm making subclips of extended markers, the created subclips dont have the marker name but are just listed as a generic subclip of the larger clip, as if i just made a subclip by placing ins and outs in the master clip and didnt give it a name. This happens whether I drag them or keystroke them into subclips. They should have the marker name.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Sep 18, 2011 at 11:33:02 pm

Your original post was about markers, now you lost me when you mentioned subclips. Typically one uses markers or subclips, but not both. Maybe you should start at the top Noam and state exactly what your workflow is and what you're trying to achieve.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

Don't miss my new Creative Cow Podcast: Producing Episodic TV with "24" Producer Michael Klick:
http://library.creativecow.net/weiss_roth_david/Podcast-Series-1_Michael-Kl...

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Noam Osband
on Sep 18, 2011 at 11:37:02 pm

Cool. So, in my workflow, I ingest whole clips and then log them by using extended markers on the clips. So, these are clip markers and not timeline markers.

I color code the markers and make subclips out of the markers I like, markers that extend for a whole short bit I want to capture.

For months, it was working fine that when I drag the markers into another folder, the subclips would automatically get the name of the marker whence they came. But, lately that's stopped working and now they just get a generic name like "12/4 Subclip 1"

I dont know why this started happening. But it has. And it's a problem. Does that make sense? I hope so. I could explain again if it doesnt.

Thanks for being so helpful David.

Return to posts index

Noam Osband
on Sep 23, 2011 at 3:00:42 am

For what it's worth, I ran Repair Disc and Repair Disc Permissions on the HD with FCP. The problem still continues. I'm considering reinstalling the program. That will be a bit of a pain, but making subclips out of markers and having these subclips take the name of the marker is the crux of my logging workflow. Grr.....

Would running some other program on my HD possibly make a difference?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]