FORUMS: list search recent posts

H.264 video "skip" and quality control of final version of video

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Fernando Bobadilla
H.264 video "skip" and quality control of final version of video
on Sep 16, 2011 at 10:29:43 pm

When I playback some video in H.264 I get a "skip" of some sort - during a simple jump-cut a random frame before the upcoming clip occurs..

I switched over to ProRes422, and the problem went away, but the orange bar at the top of my timeline somewhat worries me - I looked up videos on youtube about it, and someone stated that the orange bar means your system is bound to crash; I don't want my slowly start killing my system by using pro res.

I would like to know how to solve the "skip" without having to use prores if i don't have to.

Also, once I export my movies to quicktime format, and then use compressor to compress them to upload them onto youtube, I lose a lot of quality to the video; it makes it look super grainy.

Anyone know how I can keep some of the quality and still upload up to youtube?

Return to posts index

Kevin Rease
Re: H.264 video "skip" and quality control of final version of video
on Sep 17, 2011 at 12:03:35 am

H.264 is not an editing codec, it is a delivery codec. I don't know how you're bring your footage in but I'm going to GUESS that you changed your sequence setting to prores after bringing in the h.264 video.? The best way to get h264 in is via log and transfer, mpeg streamclip or some other 3rd party app to a flavor of prores. If you do it this way, I don't think you'll have the issue with the orange bar. That orange bar represents the unlimited real time playback for items that need rendering. If you use log and transfer, this should eliminate that issue all together.

The quality issue is most likely because your source file is still the HIGHLY COMPRESSED h.264 file. Again, transcode to prores and this should solve the issue.

Prores won't "slowly kill your system." What is actually killing your system is the resources it takes to playback the h.264.

Return to posts index

Fernando Bobadilla
on Sep 17, 2011 at 9:35:11 pm

We filmed with a Sony CyberShot 1080 camera - I know it's not much for high quality, but it's all we had.

My friend had to convert the files from the camera to Windows Media Player compatible clips, then I had to convert them over to my mac book pro using Smart Converter. From there, I just dragged the clips onto Final Cut.

I'm guessing all the transferring/converting of files brought the quality down a bit?

What i'm doing is editing using H.264, copying my entire sequence, making a new sequence, the pasting into the new sequence with the settings set to prores (LT) (I'm not entirely certain what LT means at the end of that, and i've seen more version of Pro Res in the settings).

Is this what you mean by trying to to save the quality?

Because you said H.264 is a delivery codec, so I'm assuming that's when the footage is on it's way out..?

When I dragged the files into my sequence I got a box saying something like "would you like to change your sequence settings to the right settings for your video"?

Thank you for all your help

Return to posts index

Kevin Rease
on Sep 18, 2011 at 12:12:32 am

"I'd My friend had to convert the files from the camera to Windows Media Player compatible clips, then I had to convert them over to my mac book pro using Smart Converter. From there, I just dragged the clips onto Final Cut."

Why such a lengthy process for transcode? Why don't you take the original files from the camera and use either log and transfer in FCP or mpeg streamclip (this is a FREE download) to convert to prores 422.

Once in prores 422, this should eliminate most of your issues.

What version of FCP do you have? If you have FCP 7 there is a preset in compressor for YouTube. If not, look here:

this should help you get the best quality for your completed movie.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Sep 18, 2011 at 10:16:15 pm

[Fernando Bobadilla] "What i'm doing is editing using H.264, copying my entire sequence, making a new sequence, the pasting into the new sequence with the settings set to prores (LT) (I'm not entirely certain what LT means at the end of that, and i've seen more version of Pro Res in the settings)."
Better plain Prores.
Convert in MPGStreamclip "Unscaled" and as Progressive.
Conform the sequence to the footage, you won't need to render.
Audio PCM 16b/48Khz.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]