FORUMS: list search recent posts

Footage from two different cameras in same sequence

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ted Blake
Footage from two different cameras in same sequence
on Sep 15, 2011 at 5:52:00 pm

I shot a wedding recently with my Canon T3i in 24p mode and used my Canon Vixia HFs10 in 60i (a lot of panning during dancing). Will I have problems when editing them in the same sequence?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Footage from two different cameras in same sequence
on Sep 15, 2011 at 6:06:48 pm

Well, yes and no. Convert the Canon DSLR to ProRes and the Vixia's AVCHD format to ProRes before you start...workflow here:

Tapeless Workflow for FCP 7 Tutorial

Once you convert the footage to ProREs, you will have the same format...but the frame rate will differ. And FCP doesn't mix 23.98 (24p) and 29.97 (60i) well at all. You will have to convert one frame rate to the other using Compressor.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Ted Blake
on Sep 15, 2011 at 6:15:05 pm

Okay what should I do if I have already converted to prores and edited the whole wedding in the same timeline? Its almost tow hours of footage!! Can I move the footage shot with different frame rates to two separate sequences? Is there any way around this without having to start from scratch? Thanks.....

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 15, 2011 at 6:37:24 pm

Ugh. Well, watch it. If it looks fine to you, and to other people...leave it. If not, then you need to separate out all the clips you want to convert. Media Manage them (COPY, with handles)...convert the frame rate, and then re-edit the new footage...manually...into the sequence.

But again...see how it looks to you. If it looks fine, go with it.

Shane

Return to posts index

Ted Blake
on Sep 15, 2011 at 6:52:19 pm

Yeah I exported a quicktime movie and it looked like crap. For some reason the t3i was encoded as pro res 4444 and the Hfs10 pro res 422, is this normal? Thanks for your time!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 15, 2011 at 7:00:27 pm

[Ted Blake] "Yeah I exported a quicktime movie and it looked like crap"

Figured. FCP doesn't add/remove pulldown well at all. Avid does...but that's besides the point.

[Ted Blake] "For some reason the t3i was encoded as pro res 4444 and the Hfs10 pro res 422, is this normal? "

Well, no. Encoding DSLR to ProRes 4444 is a very silly thing to do. All you are doing is taking up LOTS of space. ProRes LT is best for DSLR...even regular ProRes 422. People think that encoding to the highest data rate ProREs will somehow make the footage better. It won't. LT would look exactly the same as 4444. And the preferences to set to tell FCP what to convert to is in the L&T window, in the sprocket drop down menu.

Shane

Return to posts index

Ted Blake
on Sep 15, 2011 at 7:16:53 pm

Right on Shane! Thanks for your help man!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]