FORUMS: list search recent posts

Importing mp4 xd cam ex to FCP

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ina Clausen
Importing mp4 xd cam ex to FCP
on Sep 15, 2011 at 10:19:38 am

Situation is this. We are about to edit a major corporate film that is shot using Sonys new pmw-f3 35mm camera. It is recorded on SD-card using a sony adaptor for xdcam ex.
When I import it to FCP using Xdcam transfer it is converted to mp2.
What I have been able to find out is that I need some kind of software What do I do? This is a high-end production and it needs to be superior quality, so somehow we need to be able to edit this native. I was checking out Cinemon from Sony, but that is not available for sale in Europe. Do I have any other options?
Thanks in advance.

Ina Clausen
Videojournalist (VJ)
LeadIT ApS
Odense, Denmark

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Importing mp4 xd cam ex to FCP
on Sep 15, 2011 at 11:24:01 am

Hi Ina,
What version of FC do you have?
You need just FCP 6.2 (or later), and the SONY Transfer tool.
The process is quite simple and fas. The MP4 gets re-wrapped as QT (EX) files ready to edit.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Ina Clausen
on Sep 15, 2011 at 11:59:50 am

Ups, sorry. We are using FCP 7 and I am using XDCAM Transfer to import the files to fcp.
So is there no need to use special software to edit this in the best possible quality? What is it that software such as Calibrated and Cinemon do then?

Ina Clausen
Videojournalist (VJ)
LeadIT ApS
Odense, Denmark

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Sep 15, 2011 at 1:49:59 pm

Hi Ina,
No need of other software at all.
I shoot EX-1 and all I have is FC and the SONY Transfer Tool.
Beside that, I have the SONY Clip Browser, which is very useful for preview, rename and copy files.
but do not take part on the L&T.

Calibrated and Cinemon, are basically for people who has not FC installed (and so the EX component), or for working directly with the MP4 avoiding L&T.
You may need to update the Transfer Tool. They have been released quite a few of versions and your may be having this issue because the version.
In the SONY Cinealta forum (here in the COW) you may find help on those issues also.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Ina Clausen
on Sep 15, 2011 at 2:06:47 pm

Thanks Rafael
The reason I ask is that it is my understanding, that working directly with MP4 in FCP is preferable to log and transfer or importing through XDCAM transfer, because the quality is better. I have been working with XDCAM for a long time and have always used xdcam transfer, but then most of what I edit is for the web and it's not all that important if image quality is superior. However this movie is high end corporate stuff for showing on big screens and we are also editing a series of commercials that are to be shown in the cinema. SO we need the best possible quality.

So I guess I could refrase my question to ask the advantages and disadvantages to using L&T or xdcam transfer as opposed to importing and editing mp4 using for instance Calibrated.

By the way I did get the calibrated software to work, so it seems I have managed to successfully import the clips bypassing the usual transfer tools.. Still answers to the above question about quality are very welcome.

Ina Clausen
Videojournalist (VJ)
LeadIT ApS
Denmark
FCP 7

Return to posts index

Greg Booth
on Sep 15, 2011 at 2:43:57 pm

Hi Ina,

The quality is exactly the same - basically XDCAM Transfer will re-wrap (but not convert) the XDCAM HD MXF or XDCAM EX MP4 files into XDCAM HD MOV or XDCAM EX MOV files. Thus the video/audio essence is not changed at all in the file rather XDCAM Transfer is just putting video/audio essence in a MOV file wrapper - and the actual decoding of the video is handled by the Apple XDCAM codec that comes with FCP.

With Calibrated{Q} MP4-EX Import and Sony Cinemon - these are QuickTime Import components that enable FCP and most FC Studio applications to 'see' the XDCAM EX MP4 file like a MOV file - the actual video decoding is also handled by the Apple XDCAM codec that comes with FCP so the video quality is exactly the same.

I hope that helps!

Cheers,
Greg

Calibrated Software

Return to posts index

Ina Clausen
on Sep 16, 2011 at 7:39:45 am

Thankyou! I believe that answered my question.

Ina Clausen
Videojournalist (VJ)
LeadIT ApS
Denmark
FCP 7

Return to posts index

philip berman
on Dec 29, 2011 at 1:41:53 pm

That's really get information. However, our problem is that when we try to import the footage into FCP it keeps saying: "The import location at volumes cannot be found" Any thoughts on what we have done wrong?

Many thanks

Philip

Return to posts index

philip berman
on Dec 29, 2011 at 1:49:48 pm

Sorry to trouble you again, but the problem might lie somewhere with this message:

WARNING:

"BPAV contains unsupported media or has invalid directory structure. Please choose a folder whose directory structure matches supported media."

Does this mean much to anyone!

Many thanks

Philip

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]