FORUMS: list search recent posts

Final Cut keeps crashing when exporting Any ideas?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Caydon LiRocchi
Final Cut keeps crashing when exporting Any ideas?
on Sep 15, 2011 at 6:05:59 am

Hey guys,

I'm back for more help.

So I'm exporting (QT conversion) an 11 minute sequence at
1280 x 720
H.264
Best quality
24 frames

Now my issue is I begin the export, Which seems to be taking a very very long time. I let it go, leave the computer alone. When I go to check on the progress I see that Final Cut has quit unexpectedly. I reset everything and gave it another go. Quits again.

I've tried exporting using compressor, more problems there.

Any idea on whats happening?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Final Cut keeps crashing when exporting Any ideas?
on Sep 15, 2011 at 4:39:10 pm

Export a self-contained quicktime movie from FCP. Use that clip as the source for Compressor to do the conversion to H.264.

And yes, converting to H.264 does take a long time.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Caydon LiRocchi
on Sep 15, 2011 at 7:33:08 pm

Thanks Dave for the reply.

I assume my exported clip from FCP will be at H.264, is that correct? Also how do I set a source in compressor. Sorry for my ignorance I'm sort of new to these programs.

I'm also on a strict time budget.

Thanks again Dave.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 15, 2011 at 7:49:12 pm

Wait -- do you mean that the contents of your 11-minute edit timeline is footage STILL in H.264, which is well-known to be an unacceptable editing codec for FCP?

You've kind of painted yourself into a corner, if that's the case.

One hope is to duplicate the current timeline, change the timeline's codec to ProRes 422, export a self-contained quicktime and use it in Compressor.

An alternate method: create a new edit timeline in the same Horizontal & Vertical resolution and frame rate as the H.264 edit timeline. Copy everything from the old timeline and paste it into the new one. Then export, then use compressor.

If neither work, You'll have to Media Manage an entirely new project, converting the footage to ProRes 422.

In any event, if the clock's ticking, you'd better get busy.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Caydon LiRocchi
on Sep 15, 2011 at 7:57:50 pm

Oh no Dave. Sorry for the confusion.

My footage is in Prores 422 HQ. I converted it awhile back (canon t2i) footage.

I just want a really really really good looking export suitable for the web, under 2GB and at 1280 x 720

Return to posts index

Caydon LiRocchi
on Sep 15, 2011 at 7:54:18 pm

Okay so I figured out what you meant. No need to explain. I have an exported current settings sequence from FCP. I just applied h.264 settings to it. My issue is, and I know this isn't the right thread but Compressor wont make any progress.

I have been trying compressor for the past two days, it'll never finish a job. It just adds on more and more time. Eventually hitting 13 hours. It never actually finishes a compression.

I've already brought this up in the Compression Techniques Forum. No answer. I've also already tried a program that resets Qmaster and "fixes" compressor. Nothing.

Any Ideas?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 15, 2011 at 8:08:13 pm

[Caydon LiRocchi] "I have an exported current settings sequence from FCP. I just applied h.264 settings to it. "

If your footage in the sequence is ProRes HQ, the sequence should REMAIN ProRes HQ. Don't go farting around with the sequence settings. If you did, change them back!

[Caydon LiRocchi] "It never actually finishes a compression. "

Did you export a SELF-CONTAINED clip from FCP? And was this clip ProRes HQ? No excuses about "the files's too big": storage is cheap.

[Caydon LiRocchi] "Any Ideas?"

Other than what you've already gotten? If you cut ProRes HQ footage in an HQ timeline and export that timeline as a self-contained HQ movie for use in Compressor, no.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Caydon LiRocchi
on Sep 15, 2011 at 8:27:20 pm

Dave I didn't fart around with sequence settings. I dont even think you can set an FCP timeline to h.264.

I was saying i exported a file at current settings, threw it into compressor and laid h.264 compression settings on top of it. (so it'll compress at h.264.

I have storage 2TB's of it. I didn't say a single thing about files being too big.

I appreciate your help and all but dont talk down to me.

Your last post did say something interesting.

"If you cut ProRes HQ footage in an HQ timeline and export that timeline as a self-contained HQ movie for use in Compressor, no."

What do you mean by that?
Thanks Dave.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 15, 2011 at 8:31:31 pm

[Caydon LiRocchi] "What do you mean by that?"

It was a response to to your question, "Any other ideas?" that I quoted immediately above the answer.

I saw that you're new to the COW, which oftentimes implies a new user. I give some answers to save time.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Caydon LiRocchi
on Sep 16, 2011 at 9:30:19 am

Hey Dave sorry to bug you again.

My FCP keeps crashing when I try and export my footage as a h.264 on high quality.

I've looked into this problem alot. Seems common. Some say the solution is PNG images being changed into TIff images, But I have no still images in my sequence. Any ideas? haha

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]