FORUMS: list search recent posts

NEX-5N w/ FCP 7

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam Weinberg
NEX-5N w/ FCP 7
on Sep 15, 2011 at 1:51:48 am

so i just got myself the new NEX-5N and after some initial tests was floored with the quality coming from a sub-$1k pocketable cam. of course then came time to take the AVCHD footage to post - what a disappointment so far, this does not look like easy footage to work with.

FCP7's log and transfer will not recognize the media at all, neither will mpeg streamclip. i read some other posts from people with issues who recommended an app called 'ClipWrap' which re-wraps the .MTS files or converts them to ProRes. when i convert to ProRes i seem to have issues with artifacting that aren't present in the original .MTS files.

has anyone perfected a usable FCP7 workflow with this media at this stage in the game?

Return to posts index

Michael Griggs
Re: NEX-5N w/ FCP 7
on Sep 15, 2011 at 2:14:47 am

You should be able to use the Log and Transfer feature within FCP7 to access AVCHD material. Not sure about the NEX footage in particular, but AVCHD is pretty common....I work with it everyday from footage shot on Panasonic 150's.

Return to posts index

Adam Weinberg
on Sep 15, 2011 at 2:55:33 am

yeah, i think the NEX-5N uses some new variant of AVCHD..? Log and Transfer in FCP sees the clips but it thinks they all have a duration of zero and i can't capture them. update hopefully in the works? though i of course need some kind of solution in the immediate future to be able to use this as a B-Cam on jobs or else it will not serve it's purpose ..

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Sep 15, 2011 at 3:39:32 am

[Adam Weinberg] "update hopefully in the works?"

Not likely. FCP 7 is "End Of Life".

FCPX is the current version, for better or worse.

Return to posts index

Adam Weinberg
on Sep 15, 2011 at 3:44:55 am

that is frightening. i had renewed hope as it was just put back on sale..

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]