FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP7 can now handle AVCHD files....NATIVELY?!?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Griggs
FCP7 can now handle AVCHD files....NATIVELY?!?
on Sep 14, 2011 at 9:42:26 pm

Just found this on Panasonic's website....

https://eww.pass.panasonic.co.jp/pro-av/support/desk/e/avc_download.htm#avc...

AVCCAM Importer

"AVCCAM Importer (QuickTime Plug-in component) Functions
The AVCCAM Importer QuickTime plug-in component is to enable direct editing of AVCHD ".mts" file (*1) without conversion.
AVCHD clips recorded on a Panasonic AVCCAM lineup product can be handled directly in QuickTime 7 and Final Cut Pro 7.0.3."

Is this for REAL? Can FCP7 Actually handle a native h.264 codec? Or did I miss something....

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: FCP7 can now handle AVCHD files....NATIVELY?!?
on Sep 14, 2011 at 10:42:21 pm

No...it cannot. All that really does is allow you to view the MTS files in Quickview, or Open in QT to look at. Try to work with those in FCP and you will see that it is downright impossible.

Not sure why they even claim that feature...

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Daniel Sametz
on Sep 15, 2011 at 1:13:43 am

That´s true, you can edit them in FCP with the plug in now, :) but it´s extremely slow and I am guessing that it has a lot of issues if you have a large final project.

Return to posts index

mikael manoukian
on Oct 7, 2011 at 3:25:29 pm

Yeah, I too had high hopes for the AVCCAM IMPORTER program that Pany recently released. But, after I imported (into FCP 7) about 30GB of .MTS data from a two camera shoot of an event I had problems.

At first it worked and seemed to play in the timeline, but then I closed FCP. Upon trying to re-open the FCP project file the program stopped responding. I tried re-opening this FCP project many times and then other project files without luck.

Finally, I went back to Panasonic's pdf that came with the download and did the uninstall process. Low and behold, Final Cut started working again. Of course, the FCP project file with .MTS data does not work as I would have hoped, but at least I have the comfort that I can access all my other FCP projects.

Yes, this Pany program does allow for viewing of .MTS files (from cameras like the HMC150 & AF100) using Quicktime 7. But, for the present I would suggest, if you are dealing with AVCCAM data, going the trusted route of "log and xfer" with transcode to a flavor of ProRes.

Cheers,

MM

Return to posts index

Rick Telles
on Dec 24, 2011 at 7:02:34 am

Mm,
How does one convert these avchd files in order to work with final cut? You made it sound easy in ur response.

Thanks,
RT

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 24, 2011 at 8:07:19 am

I have a tutorial on how to do it in FCP: Tapeless Workflow for FCP 7 Tutorial

And then there is ClipWrap2 (google it)

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]