FORUMS: list search recent posts

HDV to Prores from CF card: 1080i60, 24p, 30p

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lynn Weissman
HDV to Prores from CF card: 1080i60, 24p, 30p
on Sep 14, 2011 at 4:17:55 pm

I am having trouble using Final Cut Pro 6.0.6 Log and Transfer to transcode HDV footage (shot with a Z7U) on the CF card into Prores 422. I can capture the footage as 1080i/60, 24P native, or 30P. But I can't seem to make it ingest as ProRes. I have tried several Easy Set-ups and Custom capture settings, but nothing does the trick.

I have some 1080i/60 footage that I capture last year in my hard drive that I shot on tape with the Z7U a captured in FCP as Prores.

But my CF card capture (Log and Transfer) to ProRes via FCP is not working. What settings in which menus do I need to change?

Or is there a link to some plug-in that I am missing? Some setting Log and Transfer? How to do this, step by step...

Thanks.

Lynn Weissman
http://www.weisswomanproductions.com
Sony Z7U, Mac Power Mac G5 (Model PowerMac7,2 GHz, Memory: 7 GB), Final Cut 6.0.6

Return to posts index

Bill Celnick
Re: HDV to Prores from CF card: 1080i60, 24p, 30p
on Sep 14, 2011 at 6:23:56 pm

Hi Lynn

I've also had troubles when using Log and Transfer with CF card files recorded by the Sony Z7U.

I've been using "Clipwrap" a $50 program instead, not just for this, but for my Panasonic AVCHD files as well. It's been much less troublesome this way.

Return to posts index

Lynn Weissman
on Sep 15, 2011 at 2:18:16 pm

Thanks. I just used the ClipWrap trial. The ProRes transcode looks good. But, as confirmed by ClipWrap's tech support this morning, ClipWrap gives you only 24-bit audio, but not 16-bit audio:

"ClipWrap always outputs 24bit audio in the current version, to avoid aliasing issues when coming out of AC3."

So...how can I get 16-bit audio on the ProRes files, without using Compressor?

I ask because:

1) I confess that I'm not used to using 24-bit in FCP, though I did change Audio to 24-bit in the "Sequence/Settings..." menu. Not sure if I have to make adjustments for 24-bit when outputting the footage to Compressor for DVD, or when exporting to QT conversion for web, if there are any other 24-bit considerations, etc.

2) If I mix with this 24-bit footage with footage with 16-bit audio, how will this work in the FCP ProRes timeline? It seems I'd need to use compressor at some point to make the sound-bit compatible.

The whole point is that I am trying to ingest HDV as ProRes (via CF cards), and trying to avoid importing as HDV and then having to use Compressor to go Prores.

Any advice for the 24-bit-challenged? Are you editing in FCP and outputting to DVD/web?

Lynn Weissman
Sony Z7U, Mac Power Mac G5 (Model PowerMac7,2 GHz, Memory: 7 GB), Final Cut 6.0.6

Return to posts index

Bill Celnick
on Sep 15, 2011 at 3:20:58 pm

Hi Lynn

I hope someone else looks at this thread as I'm out of my comfort zone regarding the audio question.

When using the Z7U, primarily I'm recording to mini DV, but use the CF card to simultaneously record selected clips I may want to edit immediately - for things such as highlight trailers. Since the mini dv footage will be HDV, I usually use the re-wrap option and don't convert to Pro-Res.

When using ClipWrap with Panasonic footage, I generally convert to Pro-Res LT, with the 24 bit audio, then edit in FCP. After the video portion of my edit is complete, I send my audio to Soundtrack Pro for refinement, then send that file to Compressor. I believe you can convert from 24 to 16 within Soundtrack Pro.

I'm still using FCP for older projects, but am migrating to Premiere for newer work.

Return to posts index

Lynn Weissman
on Sep 23, 2011 at 5:00:46 pm

Thanks, Bill,

I like ClipWrap for the price ($50) but it has a few quirks when transcoding my HDV footage from a Compact Flash (=CF) card:

1) Audio converts in ClipWrap only to 24-bit, not 16-bit

2) ClipWrap Transcodes from HDV to ProRes as 1440x1080 - not 1920x1080, which is what I get it I capture from HDV tape to ProRes.

3) Before your use ClipWrap, you need to
a) Copy your footage folder from your CF card to your hard drive(you can put it in your Final Cut Capture folder, to save time)
b) Then change the clip names so they are sequential for the clips. This allows ClipWare to merge clips that should be connected seamlessly as a single clip, without timecode drops/breaks: thatname01.m2t, thatname02.m2t, thatname03.m2t, etc.

Thanks!

Lynn Weissman
Sony Z7U, Canon HV20, Mac Power Mac G5 (Model PowerMac7,2 GHz, Memory: 7 GB), Final Cut 6.0.6

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]