FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to find out if a source clips has been used in a timeline

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Caitlin miller
How to find out if a source clips has been used in a timeline
on Sep 14, 2011 at 12:00:31 am

Hi All,
I've been doing a bit of research and can't seem to find an answer to this question! Is there a way to find out if your source clips have been used in a sequence yet? Below is the reason why I'm asking. It might help clarify my question:
Our production is a reality show, so naturally there are hours and hours of footage. To prep the scenes for the editors we have been taking all of the footage shot for each scene, laying it out on a timeline by timecode then syncing up our iso. One of our AEs was inconsistent and missed a few clips in a scene. An editor found this out after a rough cut had already gone out to the network and it turns out that those clips were very important. Needless to say he was not happy. I want to make sure this does not happen again, but we've already prepped almost 100 scenes. Going clip by clip to make sure everything has been used will be too time consuming. Is there a way to click on the source clips and find out if and where it has been used?
We're short on time, so any response is appreciated!

Thanks,
Caitlin

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
Re: How to find out if a source clips has been used in a timeline
on Sep 14, 2011 at 12:43:54 am

User preferences, check duplicate frames.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Neil Ryan
on Sep 14, 2011 at 2:12:15 am

Several things:
1. I can't thing of a solution to your problem.
2. This is one of those things Avid got right, right from the beginning. Your problem highlights the need for a User to be able to access this kind of information. (And none of that is meant to inflame anyone.)
3. DVD Studio Pro has a column in the assets window (read Bin) called 'In Use'. Something similar in ye olde FCP would have been good.

Neil.

- - - - - - - - -
Neil Ryan
Post Production Protagonist

- - - - - - - - -

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Sep 14, 2011 at 3:25:48 am

Ummmm... Neil...
See Steves response.
FCP has dupe detection. Just turn it on in User Prefs.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Sep 14, 2011 at 3:37:12 am

Geez people this is one of my favorite tips. Yes dupe detection will tell if you've used it in the same sequence once you drop it in there. Maybe that's the answer he's looking for and I misunderstood. But if you want to see if a clip has been used in a sequence(s) then highlight the sequenece(s) in the bin. Now press cmd+f to find, and choose "used" media. Now you'll get a find results bin. Select all (cmd+a) and then right click and choose to label the clips a color like red or green or whatever makes sense to you. Magically, all the clips in their bins will take on that label as well as the find results bin. So if it's not labeled with the color, it hasn't been used.

Return to posts index

Neil Ryan
on Sep 14, 2011 at 5:14:07 am

I think that Bret has got it!

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Sep 15, 2011 at 4:53:52 am

Simplifying processes like this is what Apple should have been working on for the last few years. Not X.

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Sep 14, 2011 at 4:18:07 pm

Thanks Bret... I think I did misunderstand what the OP wanted to do. That's a great tip.

Return to posts index

Neil Ryan
on Sep 14, 2011 at 4:09:35 am

The way I read the problem, Dupe Detection was not the solution.
[Caitlin miller] "...Is there a way to find out if your source clips have been used in a sequence yet?" and "...but we've already prepped almost 100 scenes. Going clip by clip to make sure everything has been used will be too time consuming."
So I read this as Caitlin wanting to find out out if she can tell in the Bins, which clips have been used. She doesn't want to have to place them in a Sequence and use Dupe Detection, as there are that would be "... too time consuming." Which I can understand.
Interesting that different people perceive the problem differently. (And it's not for me to say who is correct.)

Cheers,
Neil.

Return to posts index

Chemix Ferreiro
on Sep 14, 2011 at 8:34:24 am

https://s29039.gridserver.com/IntelligentAssistanceStore/IsClipUsed

Have not tried it but looks good

Chemix Ferreiro
BUNKER studio
Canary Islands

bunkerstudio.es

Return to posts index

Noam Osband
on Sep 18, 2011 at 4:46:17 pm

Has anyone tried this software? It's exactly what I need....

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]