FORUMS: list search recent posts

Where can I find this text effect?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ron Craig
Where can I find this text effect?
on Sep 13, 2011 at 8:48:17 pm

I'm not sure how to search the archive for this, so...

There is a text effect that I've seen around several places which makes on-screen text look as though it is affixed to a moving object in the frame. I'd like to know how it is done or where the effect can be purchased. Here's an example of what I mean:

A shot pans from left to right and a building comes into view. Text appears on the building and looks pretty much as though it is actually printed or painted directly onto the building. As the camera pans, thus causing the building to move through the frame, the text positioning, movement and perspective matches precisely with that of the building.

Any advice on where I can find a plug-in or template that would allow me to do this in Final Cut or Motion? Or is this perhaps an After Effects thing? (I know that an experienced AE person could do this but I'm not one of those.)

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Where can I find this text effect?
on Sep 13, 2011 at 8:51:25 pm

That is done in After Effects. Might be doable in Motion as well. But that's done with tracking and 3D text. Not possible in FCP.

Look in the After Effects tutorials here on the Cow. Might be in there.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Ron Craig
on Sep 13, 2011 at 9:00:49 pm

Hi Shane,

I'm sure you're right that this originated in After Effects (or similar program) and that may be the bottom-line answer. But I could swear I saw a promotion at one time for the sale of such an effect. Could just be my faulty memory.

If anyone has a better memory of this than I do (!) I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 13, 2011 at 8:55:11 pm

I'd do this in Motion, and I'd read up on the topics of Motion Tracking and either Blend Modes or Transfer Modes; I don't know Motion lingo too well.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Alan Okey
on Sep 13, 2011 at 9:08:50 pm

The process works like this:

- The live action shot is analyzed in 3D matchmove software (PFTrack, SynthEyes, PFHoe, etc.) and 3D scene data is exported to a compositing application (if 2D text) or a 3D application (if 3D text)

- (if 3D text) The 3D scene data is imported into a 3D application (Maya, Cinema4D, etc.). 3D text is created and rendered in the 3D application and exported on an alpha channel, possibly using multiple passes for different layers. The 3D text layer(s) is/are then composited into the shot in a compositing application (AE, Shake, Combustion, etc.)

- (if 2D text) The 3D scene data is imported into the compositing application. In a 3D composite, a 2D text layer is added and composited into the shot.

For some simple shots with no parallax or perspective change, this can be done with 2D tracking, but it's usually done with 3D matchmove software.

SynthEyes and PFHoe (or PFHoe Pro) are relatively affordable entry-level 3D matchmove applications.

Here's an example done using PFHoe:

Return to posts index

Ron Craig
on Sep 13, 2011 at 10:19:02 pm

Thank you!

Return to posts index

John Kaley
on Sep 13, 2011 at 11:21:20 pm

All good answers, but most likely MochaAE is you best bet. It also exports to FCP.
http://www.imagineersystems.com/products/mochaAE

Return to posts index

adam taylor
on Sep 14, 2011 at 10:04:54 am

if you already have After Effects, then the most cost effective 3d tracker i have found is called CameraTracker made by The Foundry. It is available as a plug-in for AE, abd is the same tracker they put into Nuke.

The data can then be used solely in AE or you can export it for use in 3d apps like Cinema4d. works perfectly for the task you asked about

Adam Taylor
Video Editor/Audio Mixer/ Compositor/Motion GFX/Barista
Character Options Ltd
Oldham, UK

http://www.sculptedbliss.co.uk
My YouTube Animations Page

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]