FORUMS: list search recent posts

File error unknown file importing ac3 audio

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Adelson
File error unknown file importing ac3 audio
on Sep 13, 2011 at 5:06:12 pm

Hi,

Just opened an older FCP file in FCP 7.0.3. FCP converted it to the newer version, and after re-locating and connecting files, all looks well except 4 ac3 files it refuses to import. There are over 12 other ac3, all created around the same time, by importing video to FCP, then exporting, that did reconnect. Every time I try to connect any of these 4 files, a File Error message comes up, saying, "File Error: 1 files(s) recognized, 0 access denied, 1 unknown."

I'm using OS 10.6.5 on a 3.06 Intel Core 2 Duo iMac, if this helps.

How can I get these files to import?

Thank you in advance for your help.

David

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: File error unknown file importing ac3 audio
on Sep 13, 2011 at 5:33:48 pm

I don't have a clue how you got compressed audio like ac3 to work initially, but you need to know that FCP DOES NOT do well with any kind of compressed audio. I STRONGLY recommend converting those problem ac3's -- plus any other oddball audio files -- to AIFF, 48kHz, 16/24 bits.

In FCP, one definition of an oddball audio file would be anything that is not like the AIFF described above.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

David Adelson
on Sep 13, 2011 at 5:42:27 pm

Thanks for responding. The ac3 file was created when exporting the movie I captured created in FCP (earlier version). When I imported the aif files from those exports, FCP couldn't create the new movie (something to do with bitrate, if I remember). So I went with the ac3, no problem at all. Have used them successfully in dozens of projects. Even this project (as I said) has over a dozen ac3 that reconnected effortlessly, no problem. This is a pretty complex project, re-creating everything would take days/weeks. Since the other ac3 files worked, is there a way to get these last 4 to work?

David

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 13, 2011 at 6:08:31 pm

Start by converting the problem AC3's as mentioned previously. Just the audio, if it's linked to a video clip. Then import the new audio, and use Copy-Paste Attributes>Audio>Content to replace the audio.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

David Adelson
on Sep 13, 2011 at 9:23:44 pm

Thanks again. Just to be clear, you're suggesting I convert the ac3 files to aif (although I already have aif files created by FCP export when the ac3 files were created). Once I have the aif files, import those, then use the copy/paste function to replace the ac3 files with the aif files. Is that correct?

If so, that brings up 2 questions: since most of the project is already ac3 files, can both be used simultaneously in the same export?

2. If I remember correctly, when I used the aif files originally, I could not export the FCP movie because the bitrate was too high. Isn't that going to be a problem again...as this is 5-6 times bigger than the movie I was trying to export before.

I truly appreciate your help. I'm sorry I don't understand this better.

Thank you,

David

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 13, 2011 at 9:33:29 pm

[David Adelson] "you're suggesting I convert the ac3 files to aif (although I already have aif files created by FCP export when the ac3 files were created). Once I have the aif files, import those, then use the copy/paste function to replace the ac3 files with the aif files. Is that correct? "

Almost.

I must have misread the original post,; I don't recall that you had the original audio files. If the original AIFF's are 48 kHz and NOT 44.1 or 32 kHz, use the AIFF'S. Start with the problem files ONLY.

Don't use copy/paste. Use copy/ paste ATTRIBUTES.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]