FORUMS: list search recent posts

Avoiding Ghastly Encoding

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Zach Runci
Avoiding Ghastly Encoding
on Sep 13, 2011 at 1:25:35 pm

Hi,
I am a first time cow poster, but I have been reading for a while.
This is the first time I have not been able to find my answer without posting, so here goes.

I recently made a video of kitesurfing that was featured on strapless kitesurfing unfortunately it was referred to as being ghastly. HELP!
http://www.straplesskitesurfing.com/2011/09/08/early-fall-session-report/

The video was good, but the problem I am having is with encoding the video to make it look as good as possible.

When I export full quality I often end up with interlacing issues, and then when I export for web streaming I get a product that is far from HD quality, and sub par compared to much of the stuff on vimeo
http://vimeo.com/zachrunci/videos

can anyone offer me help on what the best settings are to get good quality both with internet streaming videos, as well as full quality for me to save.

I am a self taught FCP user and have been using it for about 3 years, but there is still so much that I need to learn.

Thanks,
Zach

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
Re: Avoiding Ghastly Encoding
on Sep 13, 2011 at 3:26:09 pm

Export self-contained or ref. movie drop that into Compressor and choose an h.264 setting between 1500 and 6000k.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Sep 14, 2011 at 3:26:41 am

I get great results not even futzing with the whole compressor export thing. Compressor uses the same engine as QT export except when you're using more advanced scaling features and such. But if you just want to export a decent HD h.264 for vimeo I prefer to just export from FCP with QT conversion.

In the export settings, I choose h.264 and if my source is 1080i, I check the deinterlace box. I set the keyframes to auto and the frame rate to current. I set the quality slider to a little above medium. Under that I set it to single pass - faster. If you've set the slider, you don't worry about data rate. That's controlled by the slider. And if your source is 1080i, make sure you check the As for the audio settings, I simply switch it to AAC and check the box for fast start.

That's it. Judge for yourself.
This example was 720p. Shot with Canon DSLR for broll, varicam for interviews.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Sep 14, 2011 at 4:22:21 am

Firstly the footage looks like it needs grading and some of the camera work is a bit rough. Getting a good look really needs a combination of lighting/ camerawork generally and also grading. With an amazing free tool like Color in the Final Cut Suite, you could make the original look a lot better.

Getting a decent H264 is then a matter of getting the right scaling and deinterlace setings in Compressor under frame controls. Data rates for Vimeo are a published spec so find that on Vimeo and try to match it, otherwise Vimeo will have to do a recompress so you take an extra quality hit.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Sep 14, 2011 at 4:44:18 am

True. Looks like they have a nice new page too with tutorials... http://vimeo.com/help/compression

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Sep 14, 2011 at 7:26:37 am

Whatever your footage, export a Prores master from FC, the bring it to Compressor.
Before exporting, you can set "Render all YUV stuff in High Precision".
As has been pointed here, de-interlacing and downscaling are critical for quality.
I use my best resources to get this done the best I can.
In Compressor, set "Frame Control ON", to get the best job.

[Bret Williams] " I check the deinterlace box. I set the keyframes to auto and the frame rate to current. I set the quality slider to a little above medium."
I prefer multi-pass and I always set the data rate as high as I can.
Vimeo will always re-compress it, so the higher the quality you upload, the higher will remain after re-compression.
The same uploading to the COW.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Sep 14, 2011 at 1:56:14 pm

[Rafael Amador] "I prefer multi-pass and I always set the data rate as high as I can.
Vimeo will always re-compress it, so the higher the quality you upload, the higher will remain after re-compression."

You can certainly squeak out a little better quality with exporting, using compressor's advanced features, and doing multi-pass and doing a higher bit rate. But in my experience it's not worth the time and hassle. And vimeo limits how much HD you can upload per week and it's not much. If you're like me, you have lots of stuff you want to upload, and only a small window of time to do it. I've had good results.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Sep 15, 2011 at 12:34:33 am

[Bret Williams] "You can certainly squeak out a little better quality with exporting, using compressor's advanced features, and doing multi-pass and doing a higher bit rate. But in my experience it's not worth the time and has"
Bret,
The reason of going Multi-pass is to optimize Key-frames.
When you set K-Frames AUTO, the process the app can do a better job but needs analyzing the picture more in deep.
If you set manually the value the Key-frames values, the Multipass will be not that necessary.

Instead of optimizing quality by a "Variable Bit Rate", we do it through a variable number of key-frames.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]