FORUMS: list search recent posts

Atypical editing idea

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nic Carter
Atypical editing idea
on Sep 12, 2011 at 4:24:34 pm

I recently watch this TEDtalk: http://www.ted.com/talks/deb_roy_the_birth_of_a_word.html (fantastic TED btw), and at about 12mins into the clip the speaker displays a TV screen of a program floating in space, then it turns sideways and reveals a sort of tail growing behind the screen. I interpreted this at being the frames moving backwards in space instead of laying on top of each other. Sort of like the universe: the farther out you travel, the farther back in time you go. Also in Einstein's Dreams there was a world where time was a visible dimension; so when you stepped back on the timeline, you were younger; conversely running straight ahead was darting you into the future.

This principle is what I'd like to utilize.

I have HOURS and HOURS of footage of simply driving timelapses of the sky. I drive at different speeds and take different routes, but my idea is: if I could spread out the frames of my driving through space, then could I (in a sence) "map" my routes in a 3-dimentional environment? And further more, if I drove the same route a couple months apart, could I compare the two "tracks" to see how the clouds and cars differed at those moments of time?

Granted I'm sure there's a lot of very basic principles I'm overlooking that might make this fantasy impossible, but I'm curious if it could even be done.

Get back to me.
-Carter

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Atypical editing idea
on Sep 12, 2011 at 5:30:22 pm

You can do it, but I wouldn't consider using FCP as the principal tool, that's for sure! You'll want to look at software that works better in three dimensions. You're talking heavy visual effects here.

It's essential to get the look you want to achieve in pictoral form on paper. This means storyboarding. After all, if you can't visualize how this would look, you can't expect others to get a good grasp of your visual intent.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Nic Carter
on Sep 13, 2011 at 11:10:24 am

Do you have any 3-dimentional software recommendations?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 13, 2011 at 5:28:20 pm

Popular 3D apps include Cinema 4D and Maya. There's a freebie open-source one called Blender which is also very popular.

But without knowing precisely what you want the viewer to see, a 3D application may not be the right solution. After Effects can also do 3D on a limited basis as well.

If you know any visual effects artists, I heartily recommend taking them out for a couple of beers and talking about this project. You'll learn a lot about the process.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]