FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best way to DeEss Audio in FCP7?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christopher Targia
Best way to DeEss Audio in FCP7?
on Sep 12, 2011 at 3:51:30 pm

So I have a project that has some really nasty esses in it. I have tried using the DeEsser and Paramedic EQ, but I can never seem to get good results, the best thing to work so far is a low pass filter, but that leaves the audio sounding to dark missing most of the high frequencies. I understand I am probably using these filter wrong, but what would be the best way to do this? Do I need to export to soundtrack to get a decent audio filter?

================================================
MacPro Octo Core Intel Xenon 2.8Ghz 10GB DDR2 Ram
FCP 7.0.3
-I highly recommend el Gato Turbo264HD-

Return to posts index

Andrew Rendell
Re: Best way to DeEss Audio in FCP7?
on Sep 12, 2011 at 4:13:18 pm

I've had reasonable results using a parametric eq. The trick is to get the frequency right, so start by turning the gain up (not down!) and slowly adjust the freq until you bring out the offending area, then you can take the gain right down.

Return to posts index

Christopher Targia
on Sep 12, 2011 at 5:48:10 pm

Andrew, what Q level would you recommend for this, I have tried doing this before and it always seems to have no effect unless I turn the Q up so high that it cuts out all the good frequencies when I turn down the gain.

================================================
MacPro Octo Core Intel Xenon 2.8Ghz 10GB DDR2 Ram
FCP 7.0.3
-I highly recommend el Gato Turbo264HD-

Return to posts index

Andrew Rendell
on Sep 12, 2011 at 10:10:12 pm

I've found that it'll quite often work with a sort of middle-ish setting if you can nail the frequency. TBH, if you've got too much sibilance in the recording you'll never get it sounding perfect but with practice you can get a decent strike rate for changing a track from unusable to acceptable, depends on how bad your recording is though.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Sep 13, 2011 at 12:57:35 am

Notch EQ far less effective than a notched based downward expander which is a fancy way of describing a de-esser.

FCP is a poor audio tool in many ways. Sound Track Pro may have a decent de-esser. Lots of free third party VTS plugins do an excellent job like Spitfish but FCP doesn't support VST. iZotope has a de-esser as part of their plugin package which will work in STP and possibly FCP but I have never used their plugins in those hosts. I prefer to do all audio work in Fairlight and recommend Voxengo dynamics and EQ plugins.

Return to posts index

Andrew Rendell
on Sep 13, 2011 at 12:32:24 pm

I agree that a decent de-esser will give a better result than an eq, the best result I've achieved was with an external (hardware) compressor with a de-esser in it, but I've never had much luck getting a decent result out of the software one that comes in FCP (which could of course be me not having the knack of setting it properly, make what you will from that).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]