FORUMS: list search recent posts

Pixelated text in FCP 7 timeline using FCP Lower 3rd text tool

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Laurie Patton
Pixelated text in FCP 7 timeline using FCP Lower 3rd text tool
on Sep 12, 2011 at 2:45:17 am

Working in Final Cut Pro 7

I am working in a timeline where I have converted to 4:3 from 3:2. This project is using both DV and mini DV footage.
(Final Cut Changed the timeline to 3:2 when I put the DV video in the timeline.)

All of my Lower 3rds are pixelated. I created these lower thirds in FCP. At first I thought it was because I had cut and pasted from another timeline. But, even if I create a new lower third in this timeline, it is still pixelated. It looks great BEFORE it is rendered and then after it is rendered, bad.

While I understand the basic premise of why it is happening. I need to know how to fix it ASAP please. Thank you

Frame size: 640x480 NTSC 4:3
Pixels Aspect Ratio:NTSC-CCIR 601/(DV 720X480)

Mac OS X 10.6.7
8GB
Processor 2.2GHZ Intel Core i7

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Pixelated text in FCP 7 timeline using FCP Lower 3rd text tool
on Sep 12, 2011 at 6:47:24 am

This is a standard problem in DV timelines. Copy the final sequence into a new sequence set to ProRes 422 and then render. Everything, particularly graphics and text will look as sharp as SD can.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Pixelated text in FCP 7 timeline using FCP Lower 3rd text tool
on Sep 12, 2011 at 2:58:36 pm

[Laurie Patton] "I am working in a timeline where I have converted to 4:3 from 3:2. This project is using both DV and mini DV footage. (Final Cut Changed the timeline to 3:2 when I put the DV video in the timeline.)"

I think you may also be confused by FCP's screwy way of describing DV video. Whether it's DV or Mini DV, the image size is 720x480. This is a 4:3 screen aspect ratio. It's 4:3 because the pixels aren't square, but slightly taller than they are wide. That's a normal state of affairs for many types of video.

But when FCP describes DV, what do you see? 3:2, right? So where does that come from? A common denominator of 240:
720/240=3
480/240=2
FCP is just comparing the number of horizontal pixels to the number of vertical pixels, and coming up with a 3:2 ratio.

It's arithmetically accurate, but highly misleading because the screen aspect ratio is still 4:3. Why does FCP do that? Beats me.
Why does FCP refer to Field Order as Field DOMINANCE? I'm stymied by that decade-long mistake as well.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]