COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Austin Reedy
capturing dvcam (?)
on Sep 11, 2011 at 2:29:04 pm

hi

i have 3 dvcam tapes (supposidly) to be captured. here is what i know:

shot on a v1u using sony tapes that say "for hdv/dv" on them

had previously tried capturing them both dv and hdv, only to be told that maybe the guy shot dvcam on said tapes because apparently the v1u can do that

i have the big grey sony dvcam deck plugged in ready to go, i read up on other threads indicating to use the easy dv/ntsc setup to capture these tapes.

when i press play to see what i'm workin with, the tape plays but no timecode moves and i dont see anything.

so i dont really know what's going on. in my experience when a tape doesnt play/read timecode there isn't anything on it...any ideas would be helpful. thank you!

austin

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: capturing dvcam (?)
on Sep 11, 2011 at 6:38:16 pm

[Austin Reedy] "i have 3 dvcam tapes (supposidly) to be captured. here is what i know:
"

If the tapes has been recorded as DVCam, you need a DVCam player.
A MiniDV device won't play them. DVCPro players should do it also.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Austin Reedy
on Sep 11, 2011 at 7:12:14 pm

the device i have is a dvcam deck, says so right on the front.

my concern is that i'm getting no time code when i press play...in the past even if a deck won't playback/capture tapes it will see timecode when playing. im worried the tapes don't have anything on them. do cameras (specifically the v1u) have something that tell you the tapes won't record? like if they're set on save as opposed to record?

just spitballing, never shot dvcam or v1u so i'm not sure what my options are here

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Sep 11, 2011 at 8:54:32 pm

Hi Austin,
Your tape may contents DV, DVCam or HDV.
Try until you get picture in FC's Capture window.
rafael

Return to posts index

Austin Reedy
Update
on Sep 12, 2011 at 2:20:37 am

So I've been informed by the shooter that he did shoot HDV and did NOT shoot dv/dvcam. So I have a small Sony HDV deck that I've used to capture HDV in the past. The shooter told me he may or may not have shot the footage PAL as opposed to NTSC....I assume that this little deck can't handle PAL, as everytime I try to play it it tells me to change the tape format but its only got 2 options and neither works.

SO:

if its the case that he did accidently shoot PAL on these, will i need to go and find a camera/deck that handles PAL in order to capture this correctly?

Also it was the Sony z7u camera, not the z1u as previously believed.

Any help would be great, thanks.

Austin

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Update
on Sep 12, 2011 at 7:43:39 am

[Austin Reedy] "The shooter told me he may or may not have shot the footage PAL as opposed to NTSC.."
Camcorders (tape based ) are NTSC or PAL, but not both (at least I don't know no one).

[Austin Reedy] "if its the case that he did accidently shoot PAL on these, will i need to go and find a camera/deck that handles PAL in order to capture this correctly?"
Yes, but many desks can manage both standards.

NTSC and PAL tapes run at two different speeds (tape and video heads), which complicates all the mechanic.
To implement that in an small camcorder gets more complicated due to the restricted space.
rafael

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
Re: Update
on Sep 12, 2011 at 5:40:05 pm

Tell shooter he screwed up.
Tell shooter to bring his camera over to you.
Use his camera to load footage.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]