FORUMS: list search recent posts

prores export for Windows edit

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
peter tooke
prores export for Windows edit
on Sep 11, 2011 at 1:31:28 am

Cut a short video for an artist client (prores 422 hd) & turns out the gallery of interest uses Windows Live Movie Maker for editing several artist pieces into a assembly for projection. They tell me they were not able to open the file in WLMM, so need either an .avi file or .mp4 or...?

Recommendations for best method & settings (software - either by Compressor or other...) to convert a prores 422 hd file to sd .avi or otherwise compatible file for this editing program?

thanks

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: prores export for Windows edit
on Sep 11, 2011 at 2:04:06 am

Compressor's the tool for the job. It'll make mp4's.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

peter tooke
on Sep 11, 2011 at 2:30:22 am

Thanks Dave-

Did that at best everything but the files not great looking & sizes are so incredibly reduced...
Also tried making an .avi via compressor and while the file sizes are large, things looked soft...

Last attempt was using the .h264 quicktime preset but tweaking for down conversion ( as it puts an .mv4 extension which I've read WLMM can open / basically an mp4 and hear that the extensions are swappable..?)
Anyway, the .h264 looks brilliant, as it usually does, small file size that it is ( 3 x times the size of the mp4).

But with the h264.mv4 file I wonder how well they will hold up to whatever else the gallery will do as certain at least another conversion awaits when they make the DVD & so want the most robust way to deliver to them as I am clearly surrendering control of final product here.

Thanks for your time-
peter

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 11, 2011 at 3:21:55 am

[peter tooke] "But with the h264.mv4 file I wonder how well they will hold up to whatever else the gallery will do as certain at least another conversion awaits when they make the DVD & so want the most robust way to deliver to them as I am clearly surrendering control of final product here."

If you want, you can buy Flip4Mac and and make any kind of Windows-centric media you'd like.

However, I get the feeling this project's being done an a shoestring. If the clients want to cheap out and do further editing on their own, you're giving them the best quality you can. They'll just have to deal with any image degradation.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

peter tooke
on Sep 11, 2011 at 8:33:58 am

thank you- Flip4mac pro version seems to offer the 2 pass transcoding that might do the trick...
much appreciated.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 12, 2011 at 2:41:06 pm

OH! Is That what you seek? Compressor can do 2-pass encoding, no Flip4Mac purchase necessary. I hope this reaches you before you open your wallet!

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

peter tooke
on Sep 12, 2011 at 2:48:13 pm

I was in fact just reaching for my wallet!
OK then, but in compressor ( as i mentioned above I have tried without great results) I was not able to find an option for 2 pass encoding to either .avi or other codecs for the WIndows edit. As I have poked around and tried many things, might you continue your kind & helpful ways by pointing me explicitly to the correct settings?

FYI, my client is not being cheap, just that we learned late that the out of town gallery used this WLMM editing platform to assemble pieces from various artists into a single movie they loop / project on a wall...

Thanks again,

peter

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 12, 2011 at 3:16:33 pm

Sorry about the implication of cheapness. My experiences with artists who want to use video aren't very good, I guess.

I think to do multipass in Compressor, you'd need to crate a new preset, then modify it to your needs. It's also available simply by exporting using Quicktime conversion straight from FCP or from QT Pro.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]