FORUMS: list search recent posts

Widescreen and Motion Problem

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nathan McKay
Widescreen and Motion Problem
on Sep 9, 2011 at 3:44:45 pm

I'm using the Widescreen 2:35 filter in FCP. It works great, but there's only one problem: when I "digitally zoom in" on a clip under the motion tab by increasing the scale, Final Cut also zooms in on the Widescreen layer, making it thinner. As I cannot custom size the Widescreen, I am stuck. I really need to be able to zoom in on some shots and I have no idea how to fix this. Perhaps there's a different way to put Widescreen on my clips? Help!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Widescreen and Motion Problem
on Sep 9, 2011 at 3:50:55 pm

Sure: make a widescreen mask in Photoshop or something like that -- black strips on the top & bottom, transparent in the middle. Just add it as the top layer in your edit timeline.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Nathan McKay
on Sep 9, 2011 at 3:54:20 pm

Unfortunately I do not have own Photoshop. Can someone here make one and upload it? Or send it to me via email nmckay3@gmail.com

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 9, 2011 at 3:56:31 pm

You don't possess Motion, which can also make such a still? I apologize for not mentioning it in the first place.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Nathan McKay
on Sep 9, 2011 at 4:04:44 pm

Nevermind! Found a widescreen generator online that solves the problem. Thanks for the help!

Return to posts index

Kent Beeson
on Sep 9, 2011 at 4:41:07 pm

Bit of a work-around but put your zooming-in clip in its own nested clip and add the 2:35:1 filter to that...might work

K

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Sep 9, 2011 at 5:27:35 pm

I just place two slugs on the top video tracks and use them to mask out the top and bottom of the image.

-Andrew

3.2GHz 8-core, FCP 6.0.4, 10.5.5
Blackmagic Multibridge Eclipse (6.8.1)

Return to posts index

Neil Ryan
on Sep 12, 2011 at 4:38:02 am

Whilst you got around it this time, it would pay for you to understand the original problem, as you're bound to come across it again.
The issue you had stems from the order in which FCP process. Effects come after Motion Tab.

From the online help: (When it says 'rendered' read 'processed' for a better understanding)
Order of Effects Rendering
When you render effects in a sequence, they’re rendered in the following order:

The top video track (the highest-numbered track) is rendered first and then composited onto the track below.

Within each track, effects are rendered as follows: speed, filters, motion, motion blur, opacity, and transitions.

You can change the order of rendering by using nested sequences. For more information, see Sequence-to-Sequence Editing.

This is why you should take note of Kent's workaround.

Neil.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]