FORUMS: list search recent posts

Real time to Time lapse

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Graham Dickinson
Real time to Time lapse
on Sep 9, 2011 at 2:10:17 pm

Anybody know how to drop frames in 7 or X to create time lapse?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Andrew Rendell
Re: Real time to Time lapse
on Sep 9, 2011 at 2:30:53 pm

One of the things I liked about 7 when it arrived is the ability to open the timeline (icons down at the bottom left), drop the clip at it's full length onto a high vision layer then put in a keyframe at the start and a keyframe on the last frame you want to see, then drag that end one to the point in the sequence where you want it to end, then trim off the end with the blade tool and drop it down into your main vision layer - instant speed ups and slow downs timed to your sequence (well, sort of, but pretty quick and easy). You can do speed changes within the clip, drop it back to 100%, ramp in and out of speed variations, etc. Check it out. (Presumably FCPX does something similar or better, but I don't know about that yet.)

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 9, 2011 at 3:11:58 pm

Got After Effects? There's a dead-simple way to do it there. Use the Posterize Time effect, and just pick the desired frame rate. Then render in the frame rate of your FCP edit timeline.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Graham Dickinson
on Sep 9, 2011 at 3:31:28 pm

Thanks to you both! I no longer have AE. There is no way in FCX7 or X to do it besides going in and manually blading the frames out?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 9, 2011 at 3:34:31 pm

I wish I knew; it's too stinkin' easy for me to do a job like that in AE. I've never investigated other possibilities.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 9, 2011 at 4:51:03 pm

UH...guys? How about a simple speed change? Say you have a 10 min clip, and you want it to go by in 10 seconds? Just mark IN and OUT on your original clip. Then press COMMAND-J....and set the DURATION to 00;00;10;00.

Done.

Or adjust the speed via a percentage.

Easy peasy.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Sep 9, 2011 at 5:11:22 pm

I would try Shane's way, but also add a strobe filter plug-in effect if that motion looked too smooth.

It is somewhat "inelegant" to have to import an entire hour of tape, when what you really want is to only capture every tenth frame or whatever. Back in the day this could have been a problem for a 24-hour or longer time lapse project, as you'd run short on drive room. These days drives have become so cheap it no longer is such a big deal though. But capturing many hours of tape is still a drag. Best answer would be to use a DSLR with an intervalometer setting to capture the footage in the first place.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 9, 2011 at 5:44:08 pm

Yeah, and somebody ought to give me a big Dope Slap. Although the OP clearly stated "Time Lapse", I outlined a procedure to recreate the look of Stop Motion.

Duh.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Sep 9, 2011 at 5:14:12 pm

[Shane Ross] "UH...guys? How about a simple speed change? Say you have a 10 min clip, and you want it to go by in 10 seconds? Just mark IN and OUT on your original clip. Then press COMMAND-J....and set the DURATION to 00;00;10;00. "
Yeap.
Or mark an IN/OUT on your time-line and "Fit to fill".
Don't forget unchecking "Frame Blending".
No frame blending here but frame dropping.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]