FORUMS: list search recent posts

mp4 files not loading into fcp

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tyler Hill
mp4 files not loading into fcp
on Sep 9, 2011 at 1:56:22 pm

I saw some stuff on here about mp4 files but they were about ripping stuff off DVD's. My issue is, while on a filming assignment in Greenland my computer went down. Long story short I had to take my hard drive, format it to work on a PC (we use macs) then load the footage from my PMW-EX1r on to the hard drive. Now that i am back on my mac and ready to edit my footage it is in mp4 format and FCP will not let me log and transfer. PLEASE HELP!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
It's a blessing in disguise
on Sep 9, 2011 at 3:09:11 pm

You should consider yourself lucky that FCP isn't accepting the mp4 files. Such long-gop codecs are unacceptable for editing in FCP. You'll have to convert all your files to a proper FCP editing codec, and there is none better than good ol' ProRes 422.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: It's a blessing in disguise
on Sep 9, 2011 at 3:48:07 pm

I think I may have misread your post.

Do these hard drives contain the ENTIRE card structure from your camera, with each card's contents stored in a separate folder? If so, I believe there is a Sony utility for FCP that will allow FCP to Log & Transfer the clips, converting them to ProRes 422 as they're transferred.

Unfortunately, I don't have personal experience nor personal knowledge of that utility from Sony. I hope someone else will have the answer. Sorry.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Tyler Hill
on Sep 9, 2011 at 3:48:31 pm

Thanks for the advice. The issue that i am having with that is i cant get my files into FCP or Compressor. Do you know of any good third party software that would sidestep this issue?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 9, 2011 at 3:55:10 pm

Other than the Sony utility mentioned earlier, no. Unfortunately, this is beyond the scope of my knowledge, but I'm very confident that others with practical experience will chime in.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]