FORUMS: list search recent posts

time base choice for sequence settings

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sean Warman
time base choice for sequence settings
on Sep 9, 2011 at 4:40:28 am

What are the negative sides to editing in a sequence with a setting of 59.94fps?

I have a significant amount media shot at 59.94. it was shot for slow mo but I will still need to use some at normal speed.
I have about 30% shot at 23.98fps that will be used at full speed.

Would I be better off converting it all the 59.94fps to 29.97 with cinema tools and speed up what I need at full speed using twixtor?

Delivery will be an HD down load of some sort, SD dvd, and possibly blue ray if it is in the budget.

I am running some test sequences but not sure what I might run into down the line.
one positive is that I am not on a tight time line for this one.

any thoughts or insight appreciated.

Thank you

Sean

Imagesandconcepts.com

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: time base choice for sequence settings
on Sep 9, 2011 at 3:39:49 pm

[Sean Warman] "I have about 30% shot at 23.98fps that will be used at full speed."

Then that is the frame rate you should use for editing. The official, actual frame rate is 23.976, incidentally. 23.98 is simply misleading FCP shorthand.

If you choose any frame rate other than 23.976, you'll only create headaches for yourself later. If that's your goal, then knock yourself out and use another frame rate.

When you Conform DUPLICATES of the desired 59.94 clips to 23.976, they will be 2.5 times slower than actual speed. Very nice slo-mo.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Sean Warman
on Sep 9, 2011 at 8:05:25 pm

Thank you! I am running some test sequences in 23.976 today.

can I ask why 23.976, and the headaches are the reason I ask the original question. is it distribution?

I have already done some test in a 59.94 fps using twixtor to slow to down to 10% of it original, exported through compressor as h264 clip.

FYI: I do have a small amount shot at 29.97

Sorry for the ignorance and thank you for the time.

Sean

Imagesandconcepts.com

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 9, 2011 at 8:56:36 pm

[Sean Warman] "can I ask why 23.976, and the headaches are the reason I ask the original question. is it distribution? "

No, it's because you yourself said that you shot 59.94 for slo-mo. When you conform 59.94 to 23.976, you get automatic slo-mo. Isn't that what you wanted? If not, why shoot 59.94?

[Sean Warman] "I have already done some test in a 59.94 fps using twixtor to slow to down to 10% of it original, exported through compressor as h264 clip. "

Wait a minute: if you're using Twixtor, why the heck did you shoot 59.94 then? Didn't you pick a frame rate at which to edit before you started shooting? If no, then why did you shoot 24p, for cryin' out loud? Do you like to give yourself headaches?

[Sean Warman] "FYI: I do have a small amount shot at 29.97"

I guess you do like to give yourself headaches. You'll have to do a frame rate conversion to make this footage 23.976. Use Twixtor to do it. You already have it.

The old saying is right: a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing....

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Sean Warman
on Sep 9, 2011 at 11:50:18 pm

Yes a little bit of information is dangerous.

the material shot at 24p was a mistake by the camera person and I have to deal.
the 30p was a mistake on my part, but there are only a few clips I want to use.

The stuff shot at 60p was done so based on what I had learned regarding the idea that 60p is more information. thus for this action based video it was the best choice.

ultimately the question is there a problem with delivery if I do edit in a 59.94 time line? I am trying to understand the positive and negative aspects of each choice.

I am not on a time crunch on this and learning is the most important aspect.

Thank you

Imagesandconcepts.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]