FORUMS: list search recent posts

Strange problem??

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Wisdon
Strange problem??
on Sep 8, 2011 at 8:34:35 pm

I can seem to figure out where the problem is. I've created a project in Motion and exported it to FCP as a QuickTime movie. The settings are the same in both- NTSC DV 720x480 lower field first 29.97. So....when I export my sequence from FCP, the text from the 'motion' project is horrible. Here's the part that I find weird: normally, when you're viewing in "fit to window" in FCP, video will look fine, but when set to 100%, you'll see the interlacing, artifacts, etc. Well, what's odd is the motion segment looks bad in "fit to window" but great when set to 100%....am I making sense?!?! Ugh!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Strange problem??
on Sep 8, 2011 at 8:41:17 pm

It's when you view it at 100% when it is supposed to look good. And if you don't have an external TV to check this with, that is the best way to tell what your footage looks like.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Jason Wisdon
on Sep 8, 2011 at 8:59:52 pm

But the motion segment looks bad at fit to screen and good at 100%....which is the opposite when viewing most video. When I export, I get horrible results

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 8, 2011 at 9:34:30 pm

[Jason Wisdon] "But the motion segment looks bad at fit to screen and good at 100%....which is the opposite when viewing most video. When I export, I get horrible results"

No doubt you have text and graphics in those clips from Motion, and it's easy to see un-smooth lines in graphics. But that's neither here nor there.

The real point is this: if you don't have an external video monitor, you can't judge the quality of your video -- particularly interlaced video.

I work with interlaced video and motion graphics a LOT, all rendered from After Effects. In those tiny-little pea-shooter FCP viewers, they always look God-awful. On the video monitor, they look just fine.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jason Wisdon
on Sep 8, 2011 at 9:41:15 pm

Thanks Dave, I know about all of that when it comes to FCP and viewing within....it's when I export that I'm still seeing the problem. :( is there anything else I should look at?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 8, 2011 at 9:54:55 pm

[Jason Wisdon] "it's when I export that I'm still seeing the problem. :( is there anything else I should look at?"

Oh. Sorry, I messed that. It sounds suspiciously like a field order issue, and It sounds like it originated in Motion. For DV video, everything should be lower field first.

Ooh, wait: you didn't render out of Motion in the DV codec, did you? That could be it: the DV codec treats carefully-crafted graphics the way a baby treats a diaper.

I would immediately duplicate your original FCP edit timeline, convert its codec to at LEAST DVCPro 50 (ProRes would be okay, too), and I would render out of Motion in that same codec.

I bet everything gets better immediately. But check that field order, too.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Jason Wisdon
on Sep 8, 2011 at 10:25:46 pm

Well, I rendered out from motion at apple prores 422...tried everything from changing field orders amd even at "none" same results. Here's a question, I originally used an hd motion template and exported that put as an image sequence and then imported those images into a new motion project at the NTSC settings...all in order to downscale from HD to SD....I then moved the scale size of the images to 45% to fit appropriately. Could it be somewhere in there where the problem is???

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 8, 2011 at 10:31:34 pm

[Jason Wisdon] "I then moved the scale size of the images to 45% to fit appropriately. Could it be somewhere in there where the problem is???"

Maybe. I'm an After Effects guy myself. Wouldn't Motion have a command that in plain English would say, "Scale this image sequence to fit in the current project's horizontal & vertical resolution"?

That way, it wouldn't fit appropriately, but exactly.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Sep 8, 2011 at 11:29:50 pm

The HD footage would have been upper first, but Motion should have been able to make the SD footage as lower first and corrected the field order. Just as an experiment, try rendering the SD output as ProRes 422 upper and put the shift field filter on in FCP. If this fixes the problem, then the suspect is Motion converting to SD with a field order issue.

As Dave also pointed out DV codec is terrible particularly on graphics & text so try working in a ProRes 422 timeline for your final renders.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]