FORUMS: list search recent posts

Cannot get clip and sequence settings to match in ProRes/ Clips show up unrendered (red) regardless of sequence settings

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mike urdaneta
Cannot get clip and sequence settings to match in ProRes/ Clips show up unrendered (red) regardless of sequence settings
on Sep 7, 2011 at 11:22:33 pm

Hello,

I have been trying different things with this footage for what seems like forever, I'll give a quick rundown and then some more details:

The clips have been sent through a few different conversions (CONVAR recovery, DIVFixx++, and/or Mpeg streamclip or Compressor).

At the moment they are all as follows:

creator: quicktime player

frame size: 320x240

compressor: Apple ProRes 442(HQ)

pixel aspect: Square

field dominance: none

aud format: 32-bit floating point

The only piece of information that varies between the clips is the framerate, which is generally 12fps or 20fps, but I have seen a few with 8fps and 13fps.

The sequence settings that FCP wanted to adopt when I first dropped a clip into the timeline were:

frame size: 1280x720 HDTV720p (16:9)

editing timebase: 29.97

compressor: HDC720p30

audio: 48k

I have tried many different variations of frame sizes and compressors. 320x240 seems to zoom into the image quite a bit, while nothing else I have put into the compressor setting has even come close to the frame rate.

I just suffered a system crash, so while my files are intact, I had to reinstall FCP and I am no longer getting a suggestion for sequence settings when I drop a clip into the new sequence.

I have moved FCP's settings out of the library>application support folder and reset the PRAM.

More details:

FCP version 6.0.5

Mac OS X 10.5.8

MacPro3,1 Quad-Core Intel Xeon 2.8ghz

Footage from Tiger VCAMNOW v1.0 shows up in original format as:

creator: VLC

vid rate: 7.00 fps

frame size: 320x240

compressor: Apple OpenDML JPEG

pixel aspect: square

field dominance: none

aud format: 32-bit floating point

Before everyone goes crazy about not being able to use footage from this camera, I did so years ago with just one run of compressor for each clip. I unfortunately do not remember to what i converted it. I assumed ProRes would work best, but apparently not.

The clips as are tend to lose a percentage of the end of the clip when converted through compressor or just dropped into the timeline, and for some reason Mpeg streamclip was better with this.

As a side note, we don't care about the audio.

Any help that anyone can give is greatly appreciated, I have seen similar posts, but have not been able to resolve the issue. I am not a noob to editing, but all of this conversion stuff is a bit over my head.

Thank you in advance.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Cannot get clip and sequence settings to match in ProRes/ Clips show up unrendered (red) regardless of sequence settings
on Sep 7, 2011 at 11:48:03 pm

[mike urdaneta] "frame size: 320x240 compressor: Apple ProRes 442(HQ)
"

That isn't a standard size. Those are in fact very small dimensions. FCP doesn't work with any frame size converted to ProRes, it has to be a broadcast dimension...

720x486
1280x720
1920x1080

What recording device are you using?

[mike urdaneta] "Footage from Tiger VCAMNOW v1.0 "

That's some odd toy camera. Doesn't shoot a format that is editable. Mainly designed for just playback I think.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]