FORUMS: list search recent posts

Export DV project is taking ages!

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mattias Molen
Export DV project is taking ages!
on Sep 7, 2011 at 2:37:01 pm

Hi Guys,

I am working in an DV Pal project. The project itself wasn't edited by me, I just added the title sequences.

Now that the project is ready the export is taking ages! I just choose File - Export Movie - Current settings. If I export the project all in once it just sits there doing nothing. It stays at 0%.

Things I have tried so far:

The whole project is on a 500GB FireWire disk, so I already copied the whole project to my local disk. This didn't help.
Trashing the prefs didn't help.
Export using Compressor didn't help.
Copy paste the project in a new sequence didn't help.
Copy paste the project in a new project didn't help.
Export small parts of the movie. This helps. I export one third of the project. It is not the perfect way but when it's ready I can try to put the pieces in one project and export it as one movie. But the export is taking very long, one third of the movie is almost taking a day. It's just a SD project! This can't be right! My cpu's are hardly doing anything.

More info:
FCP 7
2x Mac Pro 2.66 Quad-Core
6GB 1066mhz DDR3
Snow Leopard

Sequence settings:
DV Pal anamorphic 25fps
Title sequences: SD apple animation
Project length about 3 hours

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Export DV project is taking ages!
on Sep 7, 2011 at 3:16:49 pm

[Mattias Molen] "I just choose File - Export Movie - Current settings. If I export the project all in once it just sits there doing nothing. It stays at 0%."

How long did you let it "just sit there"? We're unfamiliar with your level of patience.

[Mattias Molen] "Sequence settings: DV Pal anamorphic 25fps"

Ooooh, I wouldn't use that. I'd change it to DVC Pro 50. A Normal DV treats carefully- crafted graphics the way a baby treats a diaper.

Perhaps it's a blessing in disguise that your export of a 3-hour program took so long; now you have the opportunity to give the images a fighting chance to look good.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Sep 7, 2011 at 3:19:37 pm

Is your timeline fully rendered?

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Mattias Molen
on Sep 7, 2011 at 3:27:57 pm

After about one hour at 0% I cancelled the export. I can change the sequence settings but since it's not my project I'd rather not. Unless ofcourse it fixes the problem :)

The timeline is fully rendered.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 7, 2011 at 3:39:17 pm

[Mattias Molen] " I can change the sequence settings but since it's not my project I'd rather not."

You can run a test: export only a 10-second clip with a title in the current DV timeline, then the same 10-second clip in a DVCPro 50 timeline, and you can compare the result for yourself.

But 0% after an hour? Something's fishy. Have you run the usual litany of corrective steps to counter FCP weirdness?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Mattias Molen
on Sep 7, 2011 at 3:48:45 pm

I'll certanly try that. Thanks! I appreciate your input.

Wich "usual litany of corrective steps to counter FCP weirdness" do you mean?
The things i've tried are in my first post. I'll try anything else.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 7, 2011 at 4:01:51 pm

The only corrective step I would add is to simply turn off the machine for a while, and start it up again.

Oh, wait: I'd also run Disk Utility; primarily to repair permissions but also to find anything else amiss.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Mattias Molen
on Sep 7, 2011 at 6:17:34 pm

Ok, first thing tomorrow morning.

Return to posts index

Mattias Molen
on Sep 8, 2011 at 11:31:54 am

Repaired permissions. No luck! Still slow. Nothing's changed. I don't understand why my CPU's are barely doing a thing during export.

Return to posts index

Mattias Molen
on Sep 9, 2011 at 7:10:58 am

Oke,

So now i tried exporting via Compressor. After about 5 minutes it stops the export with the following message: "Processing service request error: Final Cut Pro.app generated an error or unexpectedly quit"

Anybody?

Return to posts index

Glen Hurd
on Sep 9, 2011 at 8:19:44 am

When you say it's rendered, are you saying that you're working in a multitrack timeline with all the original video elements - and that the timeline has been rendered? Or are you working off a self-contained master file that is in its own sequence for title work? I'm assuming the former, but didn't want to assume.
If the former, then when you add a title, that segment becomes unrendered, and if there's a corrupted file/graphic underneath, it may be giving you trouble. Even if a timeline doesn't need to be rendered for playback, it does for final export.
Try setting an in and out (I-O) point of an already rendered segment of the timeline (without your titles) of about 1 minute and see if that will export normally.
If that doesn't work then open up another project entirely and see if you can export to the same location with the new program. You may be experiencing something program or system wide if you can't - like a corrupted destination drive. If there isn't another project, make one quickly to the same settings using some of the same source footage. It's a simple test to see if the problem is deeper than your show.

If the first render of the 1min output goes OK, then you need to dig around the files/graphics/filters involved in the area where you're laying titles.
So what I would do next - is then choose an IO around each title area and try and export each one until I find out which one is locking up the system. Control-B disables clips selectively so you can see which clip may be giving you trouble, trying an export after each is disabled.

If a simple I-O of one minute off a virgin portion of your timeline doesn't export, but other shows are behaving themselves, then you might want to try changing the opacity down and upI to remove the render of a clip), re-render the clip only, and try to export with an I-O on that clip's area again.

Not seeing your timeline makes it hard to even guess where the problem could be, so I'm using my imagination a little. Just trying to help.

Return to posts index

Mattias Molen
on Sep 16, 2011 at 12:38:57 pm

SOLVED!

We cloned the 500GB FireWire disk with carbon copy cloner. Then reopened the project, reconnected media files and hit export. Still no luck. Then we tried export via Compressor and that worked.

Compressor exported the movie in under 15 minutes without any problems.

So we don't know the exact problem but it had something to do with the disk.

I'm glad it's all good now. Thanks everyone!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]