FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to import OMF into FCP...? is it only via soundtrack pro..?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kashish Arora
How to import OMF into FCP...? is it only via soundtrack pro..?
on Sep 6, 2011 at 1:50:47 pm

How can one import OMF files in FCP exported from ProTools or Logic or Nuendo. If the only way is via Soundtrack pro, then what format should it be exported from there that we get all the open tracks with cuts and fades and all...??
thanks
Kashish

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: How to import OMF into FCP...? is it only via soundtrack pro..?
on Sep 6, 2011 at 11:45:31 pm

third party option:

http://www.automaticduck.com/products/pifcp/

Return to posts index

Kashish Arora
on Sep 7, 2011 at 5:51:26 am

Thanks for the third party option....but frankly speaking..is there any free option.....??

Return to posts index

Glen Hurd
on Sep 7, 2011 at 10:57:41 am

I'm confused. Why do you need OMF into Final Cut? From a DAW?
I don't mean to offend, but generally, OMF is used to send audio out of an editor, not in.

Once all the audio has been processed, in ProTools, or Logic or whatever, you would normally bounce or export the audio as a single file back out. That file can then replace the audio of the original sequence (although I would duplicate the original, so if you need to make changes, you always have the original cuts to work with).

Again, if I'm missing something, just ignore what I said. But I'd hate to see you spending money on an import plugin when all you seem to need is a final mix brought back into the edit.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 7, 2011 at 12:17:34 pm

As he said, he wants "all the open tracks with cuts and fades and all"

Return to posts index

Glen Hurd
on Sep 7, 2011 at 5:13:15 pm

Do you know why? What do you gain? Just curious.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 7, 2011 at 5:36:17 pm

[Glen Hurd] "Do you know why? What do you gain? Just curious."

It allows sweetened audio, with all the automation, and you can keep editing and revising if need be. You won't be locked to the stems.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Sep 7, 2011 at 6:01:18 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "It allows sweetened audio, with all the automation, and you can keep editing and revising if need be. You won't be locked to the stems."

In other words, it's a way to pat producers on the back who have no knowledge or respect for many of the basic tenets of good content creation, such as conceptualization and scripting, which might actually allow them to lock picture.

Unfortunately, more and more producers rushing out into the field to shoot these days with only half-baked ideas and little notion of what they really need to tell their story, and so people are now coming up with new ways to accommodate these bad filmmaking practices in post.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

Don't miss my new tutorial: Prepare for a seamless transition to FCP X and OS X Lion
http://library.creativecow.net/weiss_roth_david/FCP-10-MAC-Lion/1

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Kashish Arora
on Sep 7, 2011 at 6:03:23 pm

so true...so very much true...
but cant help.....you dont know before you enter the project...what all is in store for you to do....so need to fin a way out...!!!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 7, 2011 at 6:06:42 pm

[David Roth Weiss] "Unfortunately, more and more producers rushing out into the field to shoot these days with only half-baked ideas and little notion of what they really need to tell their story, and so people are now coming up with new ways to accommodate these bad filmmaking practices in post."

Really doesn't fit your "without the unusual insanity" model does it? :)

It is crazy out there.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Sep 7, 2011 at 6:10:12 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "Really doesn't fit your "without the unusual insanity" model does it? :)"

Now that you mention it Jeremy, that's why I'm NOT a fan of FCP X either. Thanks for clarifying that for me...

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

Don't miss my new tutorial: Prepare for a seamless transition to FCP X and OS X Lion
http://library.creativecow.net/weiss_roth_david/FCP-10-MAC-Lion/1

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Kashish Arora
on Sep 7, 2011 at 5:46:38 pm

Thanks Glen..
well...i m an editing student on d verge on completing my final project..so for the same i needed to do some changes after the sound has been done...so i though it would be better to settle thing here on FCP only rather than sending it back to sound and spending couple of more days in the project... although i totally agree with u that all we need is the mix down final single audio track and nothing else....
and as jeremy said..."It allows sweetened audio, with all the automation, and you can keep editing and revising if need be. You won't be locked to the stems."...well...with the pilot sound recorded....we dont see some jerks...but with final audio with foley, effects and all...we can rectify them...and make it smoother...
hope i answered your question.

thanks again

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Sep 7, 2011 at 8:04:54 pm

One of the reasons why this is not a good idea, is that you cannot fully represent what you do in ProTools or another DAW within FCP.

A DAW is a sample based editor...FCP is a frame based editor. You may find stuff moved a bit.
A DAW has all sorts of customized fades that are not available in FCP.
A DAW has track based effects and automation not available in FCP.
A DAW has plugins not available in FCP.
A DAW has sends and buses and routing options not available in FCP.

So even if you get your edits back in, its still not what exists in your DAW.

Return to posts index

Glen Hurd
on Sep 7, 2011 at 9:05:28 pm

Yeah, I was really struggling with the whole "OMF" tracks back to Final Cut with just automation. OMF isn't going to reference any filters, so what have you gained? DAW work for volume control? I hope you have a full head of hair.

With Logic, you can do an XML/FCP export which bounces each track - baking in all the effects and automation - with each track, into a folder. It also writes an XML file that is supposed to help you bring those tracks into FCP. Fortunately, these tracks can just be dropped into a copy of the sequence - they all start at the same sync point - and all you need to check is your pan setting. Ironically, I can't get the XML portion to work.
Heh.
(Gotta love how much Apple understands these workflows. It didn't used to be funny - it used to be annoying. But now it's hilarious, like I finally understand what's been going on all this time.)

Anyhoo, I don't know if that helps you, but it's cheaper than going with Automatic Duck and only getting your volume automation back!

Thanks for explaining your situation - I was afraid Apple had just re-invented OMF workflows as well, and was ready to go slit my wrist.
J/K :)

Have you read this article on using change lists to autoconform in Pro Tools? There's an internet-based option, too, that seems inexpensive. If you're going to keep your story in constant motion while expecting audio sweetening along the way, this seems like a more reasonable path.
https://www.editorsguild.com/Magazine.cfm?ArticleID=51

That way you don't have to do any track-based import, but use a complete mix for the current project at whatever point in time you need a mix. And when you update your edits on the original sequence, send out a new XML, the Pro Tools session gets auto-conformed, and you get back the new mix in a relatively painless workflow.

Key word: relatively

Just a thought :)

Return to posts index

Kashish Arora
on Sep 8, 2011 at 4:29:24 pm

Thanks a lot....
this XML thing seems 'relatively' a much better option. and will go through that article as well.
thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]