FORUMS: list search recent posts

Final Cut Pro still import question

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Timothy Schroeder
Final Cut Pro still import question
on Sep 5, 2011 at 9:09:15 pm

I've checked Search for this question, but I don't think I was asking properly, didn't see much though I know there must be.

Question is what's the best file format to import into FCP? I used to use PICT files for general and alpha channel still saveout destined for FCP, but Photoshop CS 5.1 doesn't offer that in the Save As menu any more. And I've read postings regarding PSD files and possible issues with that format.

Is PNG a good choice?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: Final Cut Pro still import question
on Sep 5, 2011 at 10:02:19 pm

PNG is the best choice. If you background is transparent it will be transparent in the png. No more cutting an alpha channel in PS like with pict files.

PSD format really is fine too. But makes a sequence in FCP, and then if you change a layer later it can screw up the distort properties of the imported psd. Unless you need to animate the layers of a psd, import a png.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Sep 5, 2011 at 10:35:37 pm

+1 for png. Just finished a huge ftp download of CGI shots and the png files were smaller but effectively lossless compared to tga.

Slight gamma issues but then everything needed grading to integrate anyway so easy to add the extra contrast.

Return to posts index

Timothy Schroeder
on Sep 6, 2011 at 12:22:20 am

Thanks Brett and Michael, PNG it is. And indeed easier than having to do the Alpha C Shuffle.

I redid my timeline as a new project, and instead of the PSD I'm now using PNG and it's working very well. I was getting some strange glitches using the PSD, but with PNG Final Cut is back to running nice and fast with nary a hiccup.

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]