FORUMS: list search recent posts

HOW TO? Edit Portrait footage in Final Cut Pro for Potrait delivery.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Smith
HOW TO? Edit Portrait footage in Final Cut Pro for Potrait delivery.
on Sep 5, 2011 at 8:39:54 pm

I have a quick query to see what might be the best practice for editing Portrait shot footage in Final Cut Pro.

I am currently shooting some material which will be displayed on plasma screens which are fixed on their side (Portrait as oppose to the normal Landscape)

- Getting the footage is simple, simply turning my camera on its side.

- Exporting the footage is fine too, just leave it as it is as the plasma screens will fix that for me.

My problem is editing. Without individually rotating and resizing each clip to view and edit and then once the edit is together removing all of this formatting, I can't find any other way to edit Portrait footage in Final Cut Pro.

The ideal solution would be to rotate the viewer window, but so far I've not managed this.

I can edit with my screen on its side, but then the timeline is slightly odd to work with as it runs from bottom to top as opposed to left to right.

Anybody have any experience in this, or any ideas on how I might be able to view Portrait footage in a landscape fashion in Final Cut Pro until I come to export it?

Many thanks,
Daniel.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: HOW TO? Edit Portrait footage in Final Cut Pro for Potrait delivery.
on Sep 5, 2011 at 8:59:34 pm

Edit in a 9:16 sequence. Export, and then in QT Pro rotate 90degrees.

Return to posts index

Daniel Smith
on Sep 5, 2011 at 9:05:51 pm

But the footage is 16:9, so I would have to rotate each clip and render, no?

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Sep 5, 2011 at 9:59:51 pm

Well you can't rotate the canvas or viewer. So just rotate your external HD monitor like they'll be doing at the event. Problem solved. But I assumed you'd be doing something to the footage, like moving it, panning it, something. Otherwise, if you're just cutting clips together that need no rendering, just cut them together in a normal 16:9 sequence. Why do you need to see it vertically if there isn't going to be any rendering? It's not like rotate takes more than a few seconds to render anyway.

Return to posts index

Neil Ryan
on Sep 6, 2011 at 7:25:11 am

You need to edit this as regular 16:9, because that's what you'll be delivering it as, I'd reckon.
Is that the case?
And that means you'll need to rotate your viewing screen as you edit; the same as will happen with the final display. (I'm assuming you have a separate video monitor.)
*You can always nest your timeline into another, custom-made 9:16 seq, render it and play that or export that as a file, in order to watch it as a portrait aspect. But that would be simply for preview or approval purposes.

Neil.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]