FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best solution for storage - online?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kent Beeson
Best solution for storage - online?
on Sep 5, 2011 at 6:53:05 pm

Hi

Wondered what might be the best way to store online/cloud sort of thing for about 1TB worth of master edited mov files? Currently all my two decades of work are on a couple of hard drives (ouch), but what if fire, theft, etc happens?

Any thoughts on a convenient/low cost solution? Will cloud-based do it? How? TB's worth of stuff?

Thanks
K

Thanks

K
http://www.effectivevideo.net

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Best solution for storage - online?
on Sep 5, 2011 at 6:57:54 pm

Carbonite online backup? Google them and see what they offer.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Stan Johanssen
on Sep 5, 2011 at 10:09:00 pm

In my case i have a setup that mirrors a drobo over to my neighbours house about 100 yards away. He does the same "right back at me". Not the most economical solution (costed about the same as my Volvo) but it's ... fireproof. As long as there's no theft at his house the same time as mine everything should be fine.

But that's not for video only. That's for _everything_ we create on our Macs. Mac -> Time Machine (local FW-disk) -> Drobo at the neighbour (via rsync) every hour.

Paranoia got me a long long time ago ...

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Sep 5, 2011 at 10:58:18 pm

Moving 1 TB online will take some time. With 1 TB drives costing so little, why not buy two 1 TB drives, copy the original twice and then take the drives and put them somewhere for safe keeping if your original drive fails.

Return to posts index

Stan Johanssen
on Sep 6, 2011 at 7:47:54 am

The first backup(s) took forever. And when we started this kind of backup solution we had maybe 30 GB-50 GB each. But now we only run differential backups (almost like Time Machine) and that saves some time.

Why we don't just copy from disk to disk and move the drives between houses each time we need to be sure the backup are safe? That's more time consuming than the "automatic model". Besides. Now we know it's always there even if we are so paranoid that we check and compare "now and then".

I would also not recommend this kind of backup to an "online service" or via (X)DSL or cable :-/

Return to posts index

Kent Beeson
on Sep 6, 2011 at 3:18:26 pm

Thanks for all thoughts...that Carbonite looks like some sort of time machine but online...can't quite understand what they mean that when I erase my external hard drive the Carbonite material goes as well(?) What?

Maybe I should just get another drive and give it to a neighbor...But I was just hoping for a simple online based storage so I can access at any hour my mov files if I need to, from home, while they are securely stored in cyber space somewhere.

Thanks

K
http://www.effectivevideo.net

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]