FORUMS: list search recent posts

Final Cut Pro 4.5 H.264 question

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Frank DeConnick
Final Cut Pro 4.5 H.264 question
on Sep 5, 2011 at 5:37:25 pm

Hi everyone, so I shot some video with my Canon SX30 IS digital camera. The video it makes is a .mov file compressed in H.264 Decoder, 640 x 480, Millions 16-bit Integer (Little Endian), Stereo (L R), 48.000 kHz.

I didn't think I would have any problems with this format in FCP 4.5 since there is a QuickTime Video Settings for H.264. So far I have been able to do realtime editing and the program doesn't crash with the files I'm using. For the most part everything has been going very well... except when I want to render a file due to a transition. It seems like it tries to render the video I want it to render but then it just shows it as un-rendered (it never gives me a error or anything, just ignores it). Now since my FCP document is in H.264 it has be very easy to edit the timeline and re-watch the footage but once I need to put a transition it gives me problems.

At this point I think I can just edit up the video and just change the compression format last minute and render it whole, which isn't desirable since it waste a lot of time. But I think as a last resort that will save the day, but if anyone knows of a better way to fix my problem with this video footage? I would appreciate any advice given.

Return to posts index

John Pale
Re: Final Cut Pro 4.5 H.264 question
on Sep 5, 2011 at 6:09:18 pm

No version of FCP can work well with H264 except FCPX.
if you were on a newer version I would recommend transcoding to ProRes 422, however that will not be available in your version. I would work in uncompressed 8 bit or DV50, if your storage is limited.

Return to posts index

Frank DeConnick
Re: Final Cut Pro 4.5 H.264 question
on Sep 9, 2011 at 12:35:05 am

Thanks John for the reply. Since I'm not familiar with those suggest formats that you mention, could you describe the differences between them? This is the 1st I have heard of them.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]