FORUMS: list search recent posts

Vertical lines on my footage in Final Cut Pro

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Curt Milner
Vertical lines on my footage in Final Cut Pro
on Sep 4, 2011 at 10:06:29 pm

I really hope some of you clever people can help me as I am at the end of my tether. I filmed a concert for a client some months back using a Panasonic HPX500 camera with p2 cards. Due to the running time of the footage, I had to switch to 768x576 SD to squeeze it all in. When the footage was captured in to Final Cut Pro 7, every clip had strange vertical lines affecting the clarity.

The problem is not one of de-interlacing and fiddling around in Compressor had only managed to 'fudge' out the effect somewhat. A colleague has suggested a conversion program but I cannot afford to waste money one one that won't work. MPEG Stream Clip does not work with this footage.

The one glimmer of hope I have had is that the footage looks fine in Adobe. However, I am untrained in Adobe and cannot presently afford to invest in it, and with the client breathing down my neck I feel that learning a whole new workflow for one problem would be more time-consuming than somehow fixing this footage in a program in which I am familiar.

I have made an example clip of the affected footage, the vertical lines are more apparent if you hit pause:

In the words of Princess Leia, (sort of) help me Creative Cow Community! You're my only hope!

Any help would be much appreciated,

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Vertical lines on my footage in Final Cut Pro
on Sep 5, 2011 at 3:02:30 am

How did you "capture into FCP 7"? What codec is your footage and what are your sequence settings? By shooting a non standard frame size you are possibly suffering from poor scaling in FCP.

Return to posts index

Curt Milner
Re: Vertical lines on my footage in Final Cut Pro
on Sep 8, 2011 at 6:03:55 pm

Hi Michael,

Thanks for your response. The footage was captured straight from the P2 cards into Final Cut.
Capture Settings were: HDV Apple Pro Res 422 Codecs DVC PRO PAL, Linear, PLM, Timecode if that make things a little clearer. It has ben suggested my capture settings were wrong but other editors have not thought so. They may be wrong. (?)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved