FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to use the apple intermediate codec

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andy Johnson
How to use the apple intermediate codec
on Sep 4, 2011 at 5:07:18 pm

I'm still new to make but any video over 30 mins long can take a day to export. I have been told that if I use this codec my files will be "lighter" and will work faster but I don't know how to apply it.

Is it something that I do while importing from the camera? Also it would be helpful if I knew how to use the codec for final cut express because there are two computers in the office and some of the "simpler" edits would be done by another editor. The problem there is that fce does not have an import from camera option so I use Imovie to import into that computer.

Any advice on what I need to do to use the apple intermediate codec would be very much appreciated as the lack of this knowledge cost me the nice relaxing holiday weekend I should have had.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: How to use the apple intermediate codec
on Sep 4, 2011 at 11:22:22 pm

Hi andy,
You should consider the AIC almost like a legacy codec (was desined like a workaround to edit HDV. QT/FC has many problems to manage MPEG-2 stuff at that time).
Going to vry comessed cdec won´t necessarily make ting faster. Thinks that the more compressed is the codec you use o export, the slower the the rendering.
Give us a bit mre of info about your footage, sequence settings, etc, and we will try to gve you a better solution.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Andy Johnson
on Sep 4, 2011 at 11:40:03 pm

I will look up the exact setting when I'm back in the office in a couple of days. I know the camera records avchd and some videos have taken over 24 hours to export a 45 min video and others that work for same client seem to be able to work much quicker and this was his suggestion.

I understand that a 2 hour video will be a large file but everyone says it should not take us so long to get to the server.

Return to posts index

Andy Johnson
on Sep 6, 2011 at 3:08:11 pm

I hope this is the type of information you where asking about:
Imported files from camera: H.264, Linear PCM
Format for my projects in FCP: NTSC Render SD Format: Apple ProRes 422

Final export setting from compressor: mpeg-2 4:2:2

I am also trying to get feed back from someone that works for the same client using mac also even though he was the one that said using the apple intermediate codec would solve my issues.

Return to posts index

Andy Johnson
on Sep 6, 2011 at 3:44:26 pm

Based on some research, and this would be a rather uneducated guess, I'm importing a high quality but exporting into a lower standard.

Could this be what is causing my exports to take so long and if so how do I control how I import? I haven't seen any setting on FCPX to adjust the import format.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Sep 6, 2011 at 10:59:29 pm

[Andy Johnson] "I haven't seen any setting on FCPX to adjust the import format."
Are you on FCPX?
Then, you should address the question to the FCPX Technical forum.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]