FORUMS: list search recent posts

"Error: Out of Memory" on OS X Lion

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Severa
"Error: Out of Memory" on OS X Lion
on Sep 4, 2011 at 1:00:01 am

Hi!
I've read all I could find about the FCP7's "Out of Memory" problem but nothing seems to fit what I'm experiencing.
Recently I was basically forced to switch to Lion, since my old laptop broke and I got a new one at the Apple Store with Lion already pre-installed. It's the new Macbook Pro, 17", 2.2GHz Quad i7 with 8GB of RAM.

When I start FCP7, I can only see the Browser (although it lets me open the Viewer, nothing else). When I try to open any sequence of footage, even with only a new empty project loaded, it gives me an "Out of Memory" error. I reset my scratch disks (to a fresh, new empty folder), loaded with an empty project, set Memory scratches to highest level, nothing works.

Does anyone have any idea how to solve this? Any help would be highly appreciated, I'm already past a deadline and need to solve this asap.

Thanks,
Daniel

Return to posts index

Michael Harrington
Re: "Error: Out of Memory" on OS X Lion
on Sep 4, 2011 at 1:54:51 pm

I've recently experienced "Out of Memory" on a rather large project, none of the usual reasons existed in that project. I was fortunate in that a simple system restart, several times, and I was able to get through the job. Now I'm about to start another large project and looking for signs of out of memory.

I'm sure the experts will chime in and give you sound advice, in the meantime have you tried trashing your pref's, repair disk permissions or even zapping your pram. Make sure you don't have any large images in your project, FCP has a 4000px limitation, keep still images below 2500px when possible. Out of Memory also means you may have corrupt media.

Be sure all your system settings are good. Let us know if and how you solved your problem.

Michael Harrington
Mac Pro, Dual Quad-Core Intel Xeon 2.66 GHz, 12 GB, FCP7, Snow Leopard, ATI Radeon HD 4870, 30-inch Cine Display, 4 - 1TB internal, G Speed 6TB Raid 5, 1.25TB Esata, Numerous FW 800 external drives, Matrox MX02Max, FSI 17" Broadcast Monitor, Black Magic Mini Sync Generator, Mackie 1402 & Event 20/20 monitors.

Return to posts index

Daniel Severa
Re: "Error: Out of Memory" on OS X Lion
on Sep 5, 2011 at 1:51:03 am

Ok, as dumb as it sounds, restart helped :D Funny I tried everything else before that :) (I did not reset my PRAM).
Thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]